Whey from Mozzarella Question

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by jimandpj, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

When I make my mozzarella - the whey that is left over is very milky. The mozzarella is coming out great - no problems there. I'm just curious if this is usual? or do others get clear whey when they are done?

My yield from the mozzarella is pretty good - I'm just curious if by tweaking things I can increase the yield.

Thanks!
    PJ

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

PJ, the whey should be a clear greenish yellow liquid. You might want to let it sit a bit longer before you cut the curd or adjust the Ph but tweaking the amount of citric.

Christy

3. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

That's kinda what I was figurin'.

I made it again today and waited longer - still milky.

Can you give me more info on the relationship between pH and citric acid? Do I need my pH to be higher or lower to get more whey out of the curd? Does that mean more or less citric acid?

Thanks, Christy!!!
    PJ

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

The Ph of the curd should be 5.0-5.2

The temp of your milk at the time of renneting should be between above 90F and bellow 105F different temps will give different results so it is a good idea to keep a journal and record what you do everytime. At this point I doubt it is your Ph but it never hurts to check.

I haven't made mozzarella in a few months but I usually work on the cool side for the creamiest results, just not too cool at renneting, you need that curd set. when set properly the curd pulls away from the sides of the pot and the whey is clear.

Christy