Whew! Made it! and now.....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, May 7, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Ok, the doe with the sunken sides had her babies tonight. 10 and 8 pounds. The big one was first and needed a little help. Not too bad, though. My question, I went in between the first two since it took so long to get the second one started and again after the second one to make sure there were no more. Still not 100% sure what I'm feeling, but pretty sure there was nothing left. Do I need to give her antibiotics? If so, what kind and how much? Also, the second doeling is kind of lethargic. If I just make sure she's warm and fed (and she did eat) should she perk up in the next couple days?

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

BoSe shots for both kids (I heard) are a good thing now, I believe. I do not know what to say about the lethargic one. And I think you only use antibiotics if you had a trainwreck.

Congrats! 10LBS huh? That's big. :biggrin

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If I make sure I am clean then I don't flush when I go in. Think abt it as Vicki said once "does your doctor flush you out when they fish around inside you delivering a baby? " but then there is always the thought to be better safe than sorry later so if your going to flush you need to do it NOW!

4. Truly

Truly New Member

Hey Kathryne, was this CC? If so, no big surprised on big kids.

I think you're fine as you didn't have to mess around too much in there.

Here, we've spent 20 minutes or more in a doe just trying to figure out what it is that is presenting. (turned out to be a butt) No follow up and she's fine.

5. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Yeah, it was CC. She looked big enough to have a cow stuffed up there. :) Were her babies that big last year, too?

She's doing good today. I'm keeping a pretty close eye on her for any bad signs, just in case.

6. Truly

Truly New Member

Yes, CC had big kids last year. She is just a BIG girl.

I have two here that are over 200lbs and I'm sure CC is bigger than they are.

7. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

did the lethargic one pass the meconium? (Had a kid that got really lethargic last year...born in the morning..finally gave her an enema that evening after posting here on the forum, and boom, she pooped it right out and perked right up and was fine.)

8. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Lois, CC is off the weigh tape, so I don't know for sure how much she weighs.

The lethargic one is doing better, she is pooping and eating, she just doesn't want to move much and when she does, she's still real shaky and tends to collapse a lot. At least she's learned how to nurse on her own, finally!

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I might give a little bit of selenium/e gel if you have any and a squirt or two of Nutir-drench, I have found this year that some of my big babies...have been shaky. My Buck has been throwing all legs with tube bodies and they just remind me of Bambi on ice...within a week they are running around like all the others.

I love this time of year!!

Paula

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I wonder....could it be floppy kid syndrome? I don't know all the symptoms so could be she's just a big kid and awkward still, but just wondering all the same. Congrats again!

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

a vit E gel capsul squirted in their mouth also helps.

12. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I'll try the vitamin E. I'm a little leary of selenium, we have a lot here in the soil. Thanks guys!!