Where/How to Advertise

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

We're having a heck of a time selling anything out here so I'm wondering how you all got started advertising and consistently selling stock. I know that the woman close to me has sold out of goats. I have no idea how people find her except that she lives on a busy highway and has a great sign right on the highway (that's how we found her and bought our first goats). We live out further from any major roads so a sign isn't going to help much. I know I need to update my website to reflect some of the great stock we actually do have but the weather is STILL not so nice and all the goats are just now loosing their winter coats. I had hoped to get some pictures of them either clipped or at least less fluffy. I'm not looking to be a huge operation but if we want milk, we're going to have extra kids that need to be sold. I have excess does--how crazy is that??? I feel like I should at least be able to sell the DOES if not the bucklings.... :help

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Website is huge, folks want to see those goats. And you are right if folks don't know you have goats they can't buy them. For myself it starts with the internet, being a real person, being outthere and helping those who are new, so those who buy from you know you are 'easy to find'. I get alot of sales from the ADGA directory, make sure your breeds are up to date, when asked 3 of the people who bought from me this year found me in there and simply called all the folks who had nubians close to them. Hitting a show now and then and adveritising especially if you have a hot bloodline that would make someone go hmmmm. And every herd has to have the family milker sect, folks looking for a few good milkers...we called them economy milkers this year with everyone purchasing wanting milkers (hens, gardening etc) as the economy crashes. How about a breeders ad in Dairy Goat Journal or Countryside Magazine? You will get chain letters from convicts but it's fun reading in the barn :)

Truck signs, which I wasn't so picture illiterate...Sondra made me those stick to the glass letters....Lonesome Doe Nubians, breeding stock, soap and then my tag line The other White milk, phone number, I not only sell goats like this but soap and milk.

I think the biggest mistake folks make is not thinking outside the box...and the box is your hometown. There are those around you who will pay $1000 for your exact bloodline if it is in another state but offer you $150. It's just how it is. So let others in other states fly in your bloodlines.

Also your breed club.

You will have to market those little creatures you have...Nubians pretty much sell themselves. Vicki

3. coso

coso Guest

Iv'e had luck putting an ad in the Weekly trader it is targeted in more N. Missouri. I'm in S. Missouri and when I put it in the one down around here seems like all I get is people wanting them for nothing. I have had a lot of people drive 4 or 5 hours from C. and N. MO to come and get them. I take pictures of them and put them on my website, then put the link to the website in the ad. These have been mostly FF that I kidded out and then didn't like the udders etc... and kids. And then I have had people just call up. I guess they get my name and # from ADGA directory, or I put an ad on DuhGoatman. We keep names and numbers now. Had 3 or 4 different ones just call out of the blue this spring, and have had some folks that bought from me before call back wanting more. I have LaManchas and they are a little harder to sell. Vicki is right if you have Nubians to sell your gold.

4. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

I just sold some unregistered ones thru craigslist, only took 3 days. Put a link to my website in the ad and now I have a couple people waiting to see the registerable kids coming in July. People have also asked about stud services. Yay Craigslist =o)

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

We sold everything we had last year and so far this year with signs at the feed store & grocery store, craigslist and a local sell-it-on-the-net group. But our goats are rather ordinary. :)

6. Leo

Leo New Member

For us the internet has been the best, through our local sale place, through the state market bulletin, craigslist, and through clubs. Alot of people I know also take their stock to the state fair and sell out there. I've tried posting ads in feedstore and such but got mostly buyers who wanted lawnmowers, so I haven't bothered posting locally in years. Anyway, Nigi's are really big here.
    Megan

7. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I agree totally with Vicki. 95% of my sales are from out of state. I also cannot stress enough is MARKET yourself! Take EXCELLENT photos, act professionally in public, and DRESS professionally! Take your goats seriously! I consider shows as my top advertizing expense! I always put up a display of some type. I always keep my pens clean, and feeders full. I NEVER clip at a show. When I arrive, all are groomed and show ready. Professionalism will go a LONG way in helping you get the sale, or a better price.

Get your name out there! Join a committee, be involved in your local goat community. If people recognise your name (in a positive light) they are more willing to spend their money with you.

Just my opinion....

8. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Advertise in a big local paper at least once. If you have a dairy goat group and they do a newletter then advertise there, too.

The website idea is a good one. If you can't afford or build a real website yourself then check out the free blog pages you can get. It's very easy to put up information yourself on these blogs, people really seem to like them, and you can always point your customers to them for pictures, bloodline info and any info you want to share with potential customers.

We don't keep every animal born on the place. Many are put down, and I don't bother with bucklings unless I raise them for meat for ourselves. You don't want to flood your local market with your bloodlines. Many of the Nd breeders have similar blood lines and are of similar quality to ours so we only keep what I am sure I can sell.

I think for many of us of the worst mistakes is to try and raise every kid born on the place, and end up selling them cheaply just to get rid of them later in the year.

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

freewebs.com Is a website builder site you can use to create your own. And as the name suggests....it is free. Very nice and easy to use.

10. NubianSoaps.com

And you know what, on every forum around there is someone who could make some major money updating websites, making websites on free sites for folks. It's hard dealing with people who don't know pedigrees or up front know what someone wants. Doing updates quickly, or putting the website up quickly. Charging a reasonable amount and then in the end giving the controls back to the person and not holding their website hostage.

There are those of us who are so computer illiterate we can't even figure out how to do free sites. I am so blessed to have Diane's hubby Bill-y, but there are those who can't afford that much. Vicki

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I can do that. Willing too. ...Good idea Vicki.

12. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

You get letters from convicts, Vicki? LOL!

13. NubianSoaps.com

Oh yes! When I advertised it was under our ADGA name which is Vicki, Stephy & Joni McGaugh. So convicts get Countryside Magazine and Dairy Goat Journal of all things! We would get letters with cool drawings in them at least 3 or 4 times a year. Of course they thought I was a lonely single mother out on the farm with two lovely daughters...partly right :) We all got a good laugh out of reading them!

I am going to get booted to OT forum by Sara, but my favorite story...I was at a show up north when this very good looking man and his son asked about our goats, they spent most of the show talking to us when we weren't showing. The father asked if they could come out and see the goats an buy this young milker we were showing, I said yes. He came out and was visually shocked when he was introduced to my husband...come to find out he thought I was single and this was a 'goat date' not just picking up his new doe. We are great friends now, he is married, and we laugh about this each time we see each other at shows. Vicki