When you presale kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Say you want a doeling out of one of your does and you also took a reservation for a doeling out of the doe. If you get two does at birth, how do you decide which one to keep that quickly, or do you allow yourself to not make the decision until it comes time for the doeling to be picked up?
    And I'm going to use this as I hadn't seen it before: udder.gif

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I personally pick the best and always say researve the right of 1st doeling.
    that way if only one I get it if I want. Don't know what is the matter with the udder icon I can't seem to get it on there properly.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:udder: ok think it is fixed.

4. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Ashley,
    Sometimes it IS very hard to decide but you really should have it done before someone comes to pick up the kid so you have the tattoos and paperwork in order for the new buyer. Go to the thread about "how many does to keep" and look at Tracy's pictures - you want the kid that looks more like her doe kid. :D Another way is to look at the dam and determine what her strong points are and what are her weaknesses - Now, which kid looks more like mom's strengths and which one has fixed the weak points. You will have a favorite - go with your gut thought.
    Mary

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

How obvious, yet I hadn't specifically thought about that! I certainly see things I don't like in each doe and things I do like so I will try and look for those specifically... except when it comes to the udder I guess. I just have to keep at least one doe out of this buck to see what he's throwing.

Yes, it is neat to see the pic of the doeling and how she looks as a yearling and how it all caries over, what a pretty doe. :D

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Sondra, the udder emoticon worked fine on preview. :shrug2