When you induce, do all does kid at the same time???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Just being curious, for those of you who induce more then one doe at a time, do they all kid at the same time or back to backor what??

If they kid at the same time, and you're by yourself, how do you handle that? Like getting kids cleaned and away from the dams for CAE prevention, and keeping them sorta so there's no oops who does this one belong to. ect ect?

Thanks in advance!! :)

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

The most does I have ever induced in a day was six. I gave them the injections all at the same time. :crazy The crazy thing was the most I had kidding at once was 2 does and several were back to back. I put each litter in their own Rubbermaid tub. Easy peasy. :)

My setup is so convenient that it makes kidding season bearable.

Sara

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I'm glad I read this thread. I was wondering about keeping the kids sorted out if more than one doe should decide to kid at the same time. Thanks Amy for asking. Thanks Sara for your easy and good answer. :)

4. Thanks! Inducing the girls sounds better and better. Already talked it over with my mom, have it all planned out that they will be induced and kid on her day off so she'll be home for the kidding, same with my niece who always wants to get in on the action.
    She held Hannah for me last year when I had to go in and get a kid repositioned. :) Nastasha is a good helper. And all the goats like her to. :)

Thanks again!!

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You can always stagger the injections so you give them to the does at different times. I just don't do it that way because I don't want to get up more than once during the night. :)

Sara

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I sure hope you have definite due dates. If you do...then have fun! :biggrin

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Also get those paper bands so as you clean up kids etc you date and mark the bands with who is who different colors on does and bucks.

8. Yea, if Im going to induce, they will all given shots at the same time. No way am I getting up and going down to the barn 3 times to give shots...especially if it's cold. Which Im hoping by March it wont be too bad.

Kimberly, yes I have due dates. All breedings were watched and marked on the calendar. :D

Thanks Sondra, great idea!!

9. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Yippee. I'm so glad. I knew you probably did or you wouldn't even consider it. Please let us/me know how it goes for you. I might try that next year. Can't do it this year as there are some that were bred more than once. :)

10. These girls were bred twice to so they have two due dates. Won't induce on the first one but I will on the second, and last possible due date. :) All of them were hand bred. I'm thinking they will kid in March.

If I wasn't sure on their due dates, there is no way I'd risk inducing.

BTW-Inducing them is easy. I was worried for nothing! LOL. Kaye walked me through the shots and all that with my pygmy goat last year. :D

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

LOL...it's not hard to induce 3,4,5, at a time. Just have your *tubs* outside the pens and drop the kids in as they come. Like Sara, most of mine will kid at different times...depending on how many days they are from due dates. Add an hr. or two to each day they're out from due date. Allow extra time for FF and have a catcher's mit for older does~they spit them out pretty fast! :lol Babies don't break, and I'm notorious for grabbing hind legs and holding upside down to drain the nose/mouth. I squeegy them with my hands, drop in the tote (if another doe has a kid coming) if not then the kid is picked up, wiped off. Sex checked, right equipment-2 teats-2 testicles, etc...unreserved bucks disposed of, navels & hooves dipped, E. Coli vaccine given, wattles cut off, and colostrum is given within 30 min. of birth. On to the next one. Doe is checked, some colostrum milked out (in her stall), she's given warmed water. The babies are then moved to the garage out of ear shot of the dam for the next 24 hrs. Plus it's easier on me, in cold weather, to give them their bottles than in the cold barn.

And I also give all the shots at the same time...but I give the shots on Fri. am(midnight) if I'm going to kid does on Sat. pm. Most of mine come between 1:00pm and 5pm. I have duct tape collars this year. Pink for does, yellow for bucks. How original.? The duct tape is folded over onto it's self with a small square cut out to stick them together. Sharpies to mark. Each tote has a piece of duct tape with the dam's name on it. Since all the totes are the same color and generally all the kids are also the same color! :lol
    Kaye

12. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

What E. Coli vaccine? ...here we go, another thing I have missed.

Thanks,

Paula

13. Thanks! What time do you give the shots to have them kid 1-5PM?

14. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Kaye

When you keep them in the garage for 24 hours do you just leave them in the tub?

I have no garage so I would have to put them in the house. :/

Troy

15. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Mine stay in the house too in a tub.

16. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Mine stay in the house in a dog crate, or large box... Makes the every 4 hour feedings go by easier.

17. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

Not trying to hijack this thread...it is most helpful. But, Sara, do you bring the babies in the house? My one doe is due in February. If it's still cold like this (which it probably will be) would they have a hard time transitioning back out to the barn?

And Kaye, I too want to know what time you give the shot for 1-5pm babies. Afternoon and evening would work the best for me.

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Michelle, bringing them inside here is about convenience for me at night so I don't have to walk out to the barn and feed babies. It is not about getting them warm inside the house, that is the worse mistake you will make out here, babying the babies. If your barn is so warm that you have to take off your jacket than your goats will get pneumonia eventually. Kids should be out in the cold brisk air, sunshine, they should not be out in rain or blowing wind where they sleep. A corner to snuggle down into is much better than a heat lamp.

Someone on the forums will lose their barn to a heat lamp this year, it happens each year. Then we do a benefit...benefit from the advice instead :)

I do use heat lamps, I put just born kids into my dairy sink, lined with feed sacks and towels (that stainless is cold) I have a heat lamp attached above to quickly dry off the kids while I tend to mom and other kids.

My dog is the best also, without her the quad and quint deliveries would be impossible by myself, she licks off kids and keeps them on the feed sacks in the milkroom, while I deliver my kids.

I do love to use my dairy sink though, the kids can't go anywhere and it's easy to clean everything up. I also don't use paper towels I use feed sacks (under butts and for me to kneel on, in the milkroom to lay kids on and in the sink) and barn towles. Vicki

19. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Christina,

I have a pretty convenient setup... you'll see when you come here how it works. I actually have a 'goat room' in my basement that I put all my babies in after they are born (completely finished, flooring, storage, etc.). I do this because I hate going to the barn 4-5 times a day then they are just born. You know how long it takes to get dressed and undressed in winter gear! :)

The room is kept cool so it isn't so hard on them when I move them out tot he barn. I've been doing it this way for as long as I have bred goats and I have never had a problem transitioning them to the outside. Of course a draft free area is a must along with a belly full of milk. :) I never use heatlamps as they are dangerous and completely unnecessary even in our cold temps. (We had a barnfire that was caused by a heatlamp about 10 years ago and I will never use one again.)

I have a vast selection :) of Rubbermaid tubs that I keep in my heated milkrrom. As soon as the babies are delivered they are dried off and dried even more with the help of a hairdryer and tucked into a tub with clean, dry towels. Once the litter is born I dip navels, give BoSe, etc. and bring them to the house. Once in the house they are transferred to the baby pens in the goat room. I love the pens... I have a picture of them and will post it if I think of it.

Sara

20. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I've had 3-4 does in labor at the same time, without inducing :crazy. Once you get a system down, it's not hard to do. I only induce for convenience here, when I have does due, and I know I need to be elsewhere. But, mostly, I let nature take it's course. I bring my kids in the house and put them in a playpen (gives them room to move around some), until they are completely dry. Then they go to the kid barn, where they have a heat lamp they can get under if they get cold. I make them a fort out of hay bales, that they can snuggle down in, when it's not cold enough for a heat lamp.