When We Are On The Subject

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KingsCoGoatGuy, Dec 23, 2008.

1. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Can everyone tell me how you do your lambbars? A day/week by day/week for me? I am a little unsure if everyone, but am sure it will "click" when the kids are born. I will be using a 20 liter bucket (5 gallons) and plan to only keep 2-3 doe kids. My bucklings will also have a lambbar in the next pen, (I was not planning on keeping any bucks, but had an order for a couple Alpines and will need a pen for my new herdsire.) All wethers or cull does are being sold at 2 weeks to a friend for home meat.
    Also what temp should I treat the milk to? All my kids got milk from a tested CAE free does, and all untested milk was sold for soap milk. (I will be colostrum testing this spring.)

Do you lambbar feeders find that your kids are less bratty??? Or attached to you so much they can't live without you? (Here is why I ask) This was my first year in 4H, I have to admit alot of long time breeders say I have a gift of doing it... I don't think so much, but I do like comments like that. :biggrin With winning Sr Showmanship & Overall at every 4H show I went to meant doing overall showperson. 2 people from each project does every club project.... So with that Crystal my spoiled rotten bottle baby got to be the goat for everyone to use, (And the reserve goat.) :nooo Bad IDEA! Even with me 10 feet away during showmanship when I get another animal she freaks & won't lead. But bring me within 2 feet she will lead perfect! :/ I will tell you about our round up show for all southern district clubs... Well the order I was going to do everything was chickens, rabbits, K9, dairy, light horse, beef, draft and then back where I started. During chickens she was ok.. calling in a small cry, (I was only 5 feet away) She carried on this the whole time during k9 & dairy. I diddn't look at her or talk loud so she could hear me. During beef I had to go down and back... It got windy and she got my scent!! Seen me and darted towards me... Now the person handling her is a draft horse person and deals with cattle alot. So you think he would be able to control a 80 pound doeling? Heck no! :rofl She did a back flip, made him fall and darted to me crying the whole time! I returned her back and carried on. This time she got very mad at me, started to yell like she was being killed & taking shaking fits! :nooo I finished everything and was told to leave the ring. :shocked What did I do wrong??? Then I was told I could go get my doeling... She was over 100 feet away and threw her head back getting out of the chain/lead. Run full speed towards me shaking and crying. :rofl She and I am not kidding, jumped into my arms and wouldn't move. :rofl I had to carry her back to the barns :laughcry
    She was bad at the last show also, but never got away at that show. :rofl What can I say? I am the only one who EVER works with them. I feed them, birth them, show them. :lol (and yes Vicki she is a Nubian. :biggrin) I hope this will make others lives so much easier!

Thanks everyone. Any tips or advice is welcomed.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Although bratty kids are given when they are bottle kids or lambar kids, isn't this what you want? They then grow into bomb proof milkers who anyone can milk. My daughters used to torment other in showmanship, you have to exchange goats in ADGA showmanship so when you win you get a certificate in the mail...they would click or lightly call to their goats so they would cause the other showman all sorts of grief!

You won't be able to move to a 5 gallon bucket for weeks. Start with a small bucket, so the kids don't have to suck as much and offer them the full (say 1 gallon) bucket 4 times a day, then when they start emptying the bucket, move to a 2 gallon bucket 3 times a day etc....you will be able to free choice cold milk if you want like Sara does, she is in Minnesota, so perhaps she will answer you. Mine is as much milk as they want 4 than 3 times a day, I simply put out the bucket when I come out to do chores, and take it back when I am done. Vicki

3. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I did make a small gallon bucket to start kids on. I will go see if I can find a 2 gallon pail.

Vicki, your girls are smart. I will have to do that next time, I might get kicked out for making my kid go crazy but it would be worth it. I do want bombproof milkers but not animals that can't live without me.