When to filter milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, May 14, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Can I save unfiltered morning milk in the fridge and filter it with the evening milk all at once?

Tiffany

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No. You need to filter the milk as soon as you are done milking. Cold milk doesn't filter well. Not to mention the junk you want to filter out of the milk can possibly cause an off flavor if left until the next milking.

Sara

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Okay, that makes sense.

Thanks,
    Tiff

4. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I agree. Also you woulnd't want to filter the cold milk into the same container as the cold milk. This would make it become warm again and it would go bad on you much faster. Just not the best idea. I alsways keep morning and evening milkings seperate until they are both cold and then I will compile both together.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep filter when done milking right away otherwise your setting yourself up for bacteria problems.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

tiffany, I read that and thought ewww "shudder" your milk would have a piece of hair with bacteria on it, floating in the milk growing larger colonies. and Imagine what else may drop in.

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat I filter as I milk.. then when I put it up, I filter again, through a clean filter of course! :biggrin