When to Breed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by feistygoatwoman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

I have two does that I will be breeding this fall. I want to keep them in milk as long as possible because my son depends on the milk. I am freezing milk so I will have it when they are not milking. I do not want kids to come before March because of the harsh Februarys we have been having here. I was wondering how far apart should I breed them? I am planning on breeding one in November so the kid (s) will come in March. Should I go ahead and breed my other doe in December, or waite until January? Thanks for all your help!!!

2. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

The breeding season is different in different parts of the country and the various breeds respond differently too. Here in Louisiana, if you don't get them bred by mid-January, chances are you will not get them bred this season. Hopefully you own a buck and can discern heat cycles easily.

3. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

I am actually getting a buck the first part of August. So I will keep an eye on them and play it by ear.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

October for March Kids...December for May kids. That would give you a good overlap also. Vicki

5. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Amber --

Over time, you might see if extended lactations work for your does. I milk year-round and breed my does every other year, so half (ideally) the goats are kidding any spring. I have one family line that does extremely well with extended lactations, heavy milkers with pretty flat lactation curves who seem to have no inclination to dry-off until very late in pregnancy. My second family line doesn't do nearly as well (and also has the issue of cloudburst pregnancies in their "off" year which does nothing to help their yield through that second year): most of those ladies probably should kid every year.