When to ai

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

OK cidrs were removed yesterday and 1.5 cc of pg600. Only 1 is showing any little sign that something is going on ...she is a little vocal.

From ready I figure tomorrow will be the day . What do I look for in the mucous ? Color ? consistancy ? Ect ?

Thanks , Patty

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I'll give you a good reference website. You can look and see if it is still an active site. If it is I would suggest printing off that article on Goat AI to use as reference.
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/5505/GoatAI.html

I'll type an excerpt here:

The exterior flesh of the vulva does not show sign of heat until spread slightly. Applying a light pressure to press the vulva apart, the walls should be bright pink. Mucus discharge should be beginning to cloud slightly and become thicker. A very copious, clear mucus discharge is an indication that the doe is not ready for inseminating at this time. The time can vary from 12 hours to even 48 hours later, so it is wise to check often. If you notice the discharge has become thick and pasty, she has advanced too far into the heat cycle to be inseminated. This is the beginning of the mucus plug her body forms after each heat cycle to protect the cervix.

In an instance where you use artificial hormonal stimulation the mucus can be thinner and less of it. Therefore, it is harder to tell by the mucus.

Just for girls: If you AI braless you can tuck the straw up under a breast to thaw to the perfect temperature. ;)

3. SHOOT Christine....I just shove it down my jeans. That is the way they teach you to hold your gun in the cattle AI schools. Just slip it down there to keep it warmer. NOW...I will say this...dont take it right of the tank and put in the gun and shove it there. Cause it can cause some frozen burns.

Ken

4. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I don't have enough 'jar'.. but sure do have a few rolls to put it in between.. :rofl

5. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

The one thing I disagree with the site Christine posted is the "wiping of the gun and needle with alcohol" and "Wiping down the doe with a baby wipe" WHY would you do that? Both are spermicidal! First off, your gun will be covered with a sterile sheath, and your needle should also be sterile if you are using a French gun. The only thing I wipe off a doe's vulva with is a clean paper towel with a little non-spermicidal lubricant on it.

Anyhow -- mucous should be the consistency of egg white with a bit of cloudiness to it when it is time to AI. If we are close, I will check a doe every hour or two until we get to the right point. Most of my does are getting close to the end of standing heat at 24 hours, and that is when I generally AI -- yours may vary. I know Jonathan often AIs at 12 hours, which would be too early for most of mine.

Tracy

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Patty,
    Go to goats 101 and read Theresa Wade's post and mine.
    You're dealing with Saanens and trust me when I say to AI early! I usually breed the Saanens from 8-10 hrs. after I see them in heat.
    Do not trust outside appearances when using CIDRs. Go into the doe and look at the mucous coming from the cervical opening. NOT what runs out of the speculum. Mucous can pool on the vaginal floor and you're not getting a true reading of what is coming from the cervix.

Just today, I AI'ed a Saanen doeling that was screaming at the buck fenceline at 6:00 am. I wanted to check her about 1:00pm...went in and the mucous was *right* for insemination. That was 7 hrs. from seeing her in heat. Not one sign of heat at 10pm last night. There was no mucous on the vulva and a little swelling. The cervix was wide open with just slightly cloudy mucous. I only felt one ring and then the gun fell into oblivion. Perfect timing. And another reason for the marks on the gun to match the sheath.

If the mucous will hold together and make a U from the vulva to the speculum when you pull it out...that's what you want. I will sometimes~YUCK~ stick the tip of my finger into the mucous and test it for the U bow to see what the consistancy is. :blush Just don't shake hands with me this time of year unless I've washed my hands. :lol

As for thawing.....I go by what I was taught...94 degree thaw water with the gun also placed in the thaw jar to prevent chill to the semen. Working quickly to get the gun loaded and needle tip wrapped in a paper towel and under my armpit. This keeps the temp of the semen thawing upward to the body temp of the doe~101-102 degrees.
    I've done it both ways...but started getting better results by warming the gun before the straw went into it.
    I've never thawed semen on my body and I'm not starting now!

So far this year...I'm two for two on settles. Saanen will be the next to see if I'm holding. :biggrin
    Kaye

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I agree with both Kaye and Tracy regarding the mucous. :)

However, since I have mostly Nubians I AI much later than 12-24 hours. Most often it is 36-50 hours after the first signs of heat. LaManchas are generally done at about 24-36 hours. I AI when the doe is still in heat but wouldn't stand for the buck. I always tell new people it's not technique, it's timing! :)

Like Kaye, my AI success rate is very high. :)

Sara

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Ok my doe was more vocal 36 hours after pulling the cidr but did not start flagging and being vocal until 48 hours . I am using the 48 hours as the start am I correct ? No discharge at 48 hours either . I am going to check the mucous now.

Patty

9. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

5:43 pm still very little mucous and clear....errrrr So about 10 hours since she started flagging.

10. Patty,

Saanens are BEAR CATS to AI. I think they have read all the books and will do anything in their power to not follow the rules. Most of the time with my saanens I will breed at 8 hours after the onset of standing heat. If that is going to be in the middle of the night then I will breed late that night. I dont get up at 2 to breed anything anymore. If they are just coming into heat at the night milking then I will get up about an hour early and breed them.

With the mucous with saanens, well alot of time there is a VERY little of to judge by. So, you kind of have to take your chances on them. But, as a rule its best to be a hour early than an hour late. Since the sperm can live longer than the egg.

Ken

11. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Well I am getting broken in right :really

The flagging one is still at the fence this a.m but not making any noise. # 2 I ai'd has been silent the whole time. # 3 is an Alpine whos cervix was majorly weird and very hard to get the spot...iy kept moving .

I have now decided to start looking " in" on all the does just to do my own sort of research.

By the time I ai'd # 1 she had a lot of mucous and the color and stickiness was correct ...so only time will tell.

Thanks , Patty