When should I stop....???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:help2 When should I stop graining my preg. doe? She's got 3-4 weeks to go. Should I stop at all and just decrease. Wean her off grain slowly? Take it all away, right now!? Can anyone help, please. Thanks in advance.

-Kimberly

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

You don't want to stop graining her now. She's going to be kidding at under a year old and is still growing herself. I feed grain to all my doelings who will be kidding as yearlings, just making sure not to over grain them so they get too fat or their babies too large. How much grain is she getting and what kind? This is also the time to be sure she's geting alfalfa in her diet. Kathie

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Actually you shouldn't stop at this point.. The general rule is to stop graining them when you dry them up, and then 50 days prior to kidding, start them back on it slowly. For me it's a handful, slowly moving up to 1/2 pound by the time they kid and then more as they start on the milkstand... well, that's how I do it.. :D

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I'm feeding her with three dwarf buddies. She's an alpine. They all eat from the same bowl. This morning I gave them quite a bit. 2 cups calf-manna and 6 cups sheep/goat grain. This is about twice as much as I usually give. But wanted to give them a little boost for Solana having been transported and given all of them CD/T shots. I had to chase them a bit to catch two of the little ones. I feed free-choice mineral and grass hay. The feed store did not sell alfalfa or alfalfa pellets, so I bought a 50lb bag of alfalfa cubes. They've scattered it the last two days, (I got it 2 days ago) and don't know what to make of it. :sigh
    For the grain I USUALLY feed them about 1cup CalfManna and 3 cups grain. You can see her picture on my web site. The top view was taken today. The side view was taken Feb. 13th. Check out the DOE page and scroll down. There are two pictures side by side. The rear pic was also taken today. Below her pedigree is her top view picture. Let me know if you think she is fat. She doesn't feel fat. I check her almost daily. She is small for her age though. She's a late bloomer I guess.

www.freewebs.com/shykidalpines

-Kimberly

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

You're REALLY not going to like my advice on that.....but, get you a hammer (large) and put those cubes in a sturdy toe-sack and start pounding away. Goats are not able to eat the cubes in any amount that's going to do them any good. Besides wasting over half of them. Dropped on the ground...the 5 second rule does NOT apply to goats.
    You'll have to bust them up to be able to feed them to goats. Know this from experience and even horses don't do well on them.

You're too late to stop graining her. If she were mine and I wanted her to milk...I'd be feeding her seperately.
    Kaye

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

She does really well in letting me work with her udder area. She was VERY jumpy just a short time ago. She's settling quickly. Or so it seems. I also got to thinking about soaking the alfalfa cubes in water to loosen them and then let a little bit dry out at a time OR feeding it to them moist. ??? Using a hammer actually sounds a little easier. Thanks for the advice. Thankfully I had not lost (from scattering) many cubes yet. Majority of the bag is still left. Maybe for next time I'll take that extra trip a little farther down the road to another feed store I know about. Perhaps they have the pellets. :shrug

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'd have to feel her to know for sure if she is fat. She just looks like big from being pregnant in the photos. I hope you are able to find the pellets. Kathie

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Me too. Thanks Kathie.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep the cubes they just don't eat been there done that and had to beat up my bag also never bought those again. Mine would eat them soaked either.
    personally I think your feeding too much calf mana I only top dress with a little hand full Feed mostly oats. Also have you done cocci treatments on those new goats??

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I was thinking the same thing !! Wow, two cups of CalfMana for 4 animals is quite a bit.. Same as Sondra, I only topdress with a small handful..

11. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I was thinking about 1/2 cup for all 4 animals would be MUCH safer.

-Melissa

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you VERY much for the advice on only top-dressing. I had no idea. I will start with a lesser dose tomorrow. The two new ones are not on the farm yet. What do you do for cocci treatments?
    (I'm new at this, can you tell?) :help

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

for dam rased kids use corid for bottle babies you can eather use corid or Dicoxx M or other products. start a new thread asking about this or read up on it at goat 101.

-Melissa

14. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:thankyou

Thank you Melissa. And thanks everyone. You've been very helpful! ​