When should i move my doe into the kidding pen ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Jan 24, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, so my FF Carmen is due 1/31, her udder has started filling and she is quite large. We are putting up a small pen for kidding in the garage tonight - when should i move her into it ? Thanks !

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Me personally with my luck I would start putting her in it tonite...that way no surprises in the morning...so do go early...

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If you know exactly date bred then I usually wait until last week then they are up at night and usually that whole last week if they have an outside pen too.

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thats what the hubby said too - i just wanted to make sure it wasn't too early, i actually think she will be happy with a break away from the other ladies anyways :+) And is it cold here - today it is -29 with the windchill - but tomorrow thru Monday at least it is supposed to be +26-34 during the day - i can't wait.

5. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Make sure she still gets plenty of exercise. It is needed for an easy delivery.

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Will short daily walks be ok for that ? How much time/walking is needed ?

7. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Anything is better than nothing. If you have inclines/hills that would be even better. We like to have our up close cows coming into the barn for feed because they have climb a steep incline to get there. Helps move the calf/kids into position.
    I'll pen upclose does up overnight and when I am not at the barn but usually I let them out when I am down there so they can move around and get plenty of exercise. They also have to walk up a short, steep incline to get to hay outside.
    Short walks are fine, just so long as she gets to move about on a regular basis.