When should I breed?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by guiness, Jan 12, 2009.

1. guiness

guiness New Member

As I mentioned we just got our first does, 11 months old about 70-75lbs. When should we expect them to come into heat? How much milk should we expect for FF's?

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

That seems really small for 11 month old Nubian kids... My kids (Nubian & LaMancha) are easily that size by 5-6 months of age.

I wouldn't breed them yet if they are truly that small.

Sara

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat What kind of goats?

4. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Eddie- If you are raising LaMancha and NUbians, they should be 80 pounds by about 8 months. Once 8 months old and 80-90 pounds if they are cycling consistently they are ready to be bred. Your full size breeds come into heat roughly August - January. As Sara said if your goats are 11 months and only 75 pounds , you might want to wait until next fall to have them bred. This will give you a chance to get them wormed and get all of their vaccinations up to date and get some more growth on them.

If you breed this late you'll be having June kids, which is not ideal for many reasons.

5. guiness

guiness New Member

WOW :O Sara you do have some beautiful goats. To tell you the truth I don't know how much they truly weigh. So you think I should wait?

Sorry they are Nubians..

6. guiness

guiness New Member

I will take your advice. Hopefully they will be ready in August. Darn I have to wait till then.....

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Thanks for the kind words Eddie. :)

Get an accurate weight and then make a decision. Do you have a weight tape or access to a large animal scale? My 11 month old kids are easily over 100 pounds. :)

http://www.saanendoah.com/weighchart.html - Use a fabric (dress makers) tape.

Sara

8. guiness

guiness New Member

:O 11 months 100 + lbs? How do you get them there?
    I have too much to learn.

Thank you Sara

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Eddie you read here :) Ideally before you buy, but we can help you now. The person you purchased from is very new herself, and without help you just can't raise out robust kids. Whe new you are still in the trail and error stage yourself, or what you know is from the internet or worse...books or vet :) and not from practical experience. Vicki