when do does quicken?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by prairiegirl01, Dec 18, 2008.

1. prairiegirl01

prairiegirl01 New Member

HI all,

I have a question for all you experienced goatkeepers out there--my oberhasli doe was bred on Nov 5th and when I was milking her today I realized that her flanks were moving. Though it's been very cold here recently in Minnesota, she wasn't shivering. When I put my hands on her flanks I thought I could feel baby goats inside! But, am I crazy? It seems awfully early to me since she won't be due until April. If it is babies, does that suggest that she might have twins in there if I can feel them already? I'm hoping for two this time--her second breeding.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Maybe you were seeing her rumen moving. Usually if you feel babies it will be further along in the pregnancy and you reach around the goat like a big bear hug around her back and under her belly and feel right in front of the udder.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Quicken? Not in goats.

You didn't feel babies. Being bred in November they are the size of a pencil eraser or pehaps a peanut. :)

And seriously, it is highly unlikely that you will ever actually be able to feel kids inside of a doe, regardless of how far along she is.

Sara

4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Man I can't even feel babies on my does due in just over a month. I felt ONE baby one time about a week ago on one doe, no more.

5. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Sara- Quicken refers to being able to feel the baby move inside the mother!

6. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Well, I believe it would be a term better used for humans and one not appropriate for ruminating animals because since these are ruminates you are feeling the rumen and its contents not a fetus. If I wanted to know if they are pregnant I would use a blood test or ultrasound not EVER trying to find a baby by feel because without using a real time ultrasound to confirm what you are feeling how do you know you just aren't feeling the hay they ate for lunch working it's way through the digestive tract. A ruminants four stomaches take up a lot of body capacity and the kids would have to be very developed before they could be felt.
    Tim

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have felt babies in my does, but never in that early pregnancy. I usually can only feel them a week or two away from being born, and then only in some does. Kathie

8. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

My does quicken when they see me coming with their alfalfa! Nyuk,Nyuk! :crazy :crazy

Tom

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Sara...I know what our problem is with not being able to feel babies...Our does are just too dang fat, or we keep out too much hay and the rumens stay too full. :laughcry
    Only time I've ever been able to feel kids in a doe's stomach, was when I was elbow deep in her trying to get kids out!
    Kaye

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Really? Your doe has to stand still. She can't be moving around and trying to get away from you when you do it, but if I stand at the back end of my doe bend over and hug her essentially around the belly, put my right hand on the bottom of her belly in front of the udder and my left hand on top of my right hand and push upward and using your thumbs to stabalize your hands in place. If you don't feel any movement, then move over a few inches. But your doe must be still or it doesn't work. There is a difference in the feel of a kid's kick or that quick jerk than the rumen moving. Try it and see if works for you.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Sorry... :sigh but I'm not going to cause the girls undue discomfort, if I don't have to. Think about you being 7-8 months pregnant and someone doing a low Heimlich maneuver on you. It's painful to have any constrictions around your waist from 6-7 mo. on. It's been 36 yrs. since I was preg. but I can remember that much.
    It's not a lot different from getting bashed in the side by a herdmate.

Now, if you're talking about a couple of weeks from due date, after the flanks have caved, yes, you can see and feel SOMETIMES a hock, pin bones, or head as the kids are turning. And yes, I've gently rubbed these on the does...as they seem to enjoy the brief respite from having their insides rolled by the kids. :D

I'll just stick to blood tests to tell me my does are preg. and let it be. At kidding, I'll go in my does and check for kids, if I don't think they're all out.
    Just a softy, at heart.
    Kaye

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep I'm with the majorty here. Never do I bump to feel kids. At this stage you really dont have any size at all to feel.

13. prairiegirl01

prairiegirl01 New Member

Ok, I too, thought it was unlikely since they would be so small at this stage, but I didn't realize that the rumen moves about so much! That's why I consulted you all. Thanks for the lively discussion.

Chris

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have seen older breeders standing around a 4H kids doe, bumping her, half would say yes she is bred, the other half would say no. None would say they had no idea, which is the real answer :)

I would give anything to have you over to bump birdy or shoofly or babs, standing behind them you would have to be wilt chamberlin to get your arms around them :) Vicki

15. Cotton Eyed Does

You don't do it that hard :lol. I don't do no more than give them a big hug. They don't mind it or they wouldn't stand still.

I don't bump them. I just hug them and lift up on my hand so I can feel the babies move. Sometimes they move, sometimes they don't.