What's this ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

What could this be ?
    This kid doe is 3 weeks old and she has had this for about 5 day's,it's pink now and looks better ,the doe is acting fine and ...I have put vaseline & "Today" mix together on it and also the "purple lotion" stuff and also "Fura Zone" mixed with vaseline mix and last night mixed " Nu-Stock " with vaseline and applied it but as you can see it's still puffy and not well. What else can I do ? I have never had this before.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It actually looks like a prolapse that wasn't put back in very well. I would ditch all the stuff you are using and see if preperation H would shrink it down. Also try some baby bendryl for her weight, same weight as a child...to see if it isn't and allergic reaction.

Blister beetles, found in alfalfa hay can cause blistering around the anus and vulva like this also. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

um is this the baby or the mom??

4. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Thanks Vicki ! Hmm I was wondering about the hay myself, I didnt see any blisterbugs but I did find some sticker stuff with little green balls on it, The doeling was fine and then she layed in the hay and then had the swollen booty , she never has seemed to be bothered with it tho , I will do exactly as you said above with the bendryl and prep H tonight .

THANKS SO MUCH !

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

It's a doe kid 3 weeks old booty , Sondra

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You'll have to name her botty-licious! Vicki

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

what she said :yeahthat

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

GOSH bet the mom is having hayday licking all that vaseline :) shouldn't be a prolaspe tho on a kid I wouldn't think

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Ouch.. poor little thing. I've never seen anything like it. Hope the Benadryl and Prep H helps.

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I'd think these were Bull nettles. If the little green balls are left to ripen, they turn yellow. Oh, and these hurt like crazy when stuck into your hand.
    Kaye

11. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

That makes me hurt looking at it...OUCHY....
    I had an adult doe's vulva swell up and the skin started sloughing off, wasn't sure what it was and she only done when in heat so I started putting diaper rash ointment on her and it went away, weird and yucky...I hope she gets better soon...

ow again,
    Autumn

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've seen baby does with red, swollen booties that had little pimples, and we figured it was staph. I cleaned it with chlorohexadine and it healed.
    A friend once had a doeling with an infection on her booty that needed to be treated by the vet. We wound up naming her Fanny.

13. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I found out today what the stickery stuff with green ball's is, that's all in the hay I bought and it's " toxic HORSE NETTLE " I talked to the NEW hay guy and he told me about it and it's the same stuff that the cow has nightshade poisoning post,the guy said it was rampant due to the spring rains.

I will have to burn or bury the other hay as the nightshade spreads easily into pastures by the seeds from poop,birds or wind.

The goats are back eating fresh new clean HORSE quality hay ,the booty kid .. looks a bit better and seems to have the swelling going down.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

BUMMER glad the kid is doing better.