Whats the best way to switch from dam fed to bottle fed ???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Feb 6, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I have a buckling born 2/2/08 - since he has been born he has been raised by his dam. I have a buyer for him though, and they want to bottle feed him. I belive they may be picking him up sometime between the 15th and 18th of this month. I prefer not to bottle feed as much as possible.

How should i go about making this switch ? I will still be feeding him mom's milk so just need him to take the bottle. When should i attempt this ? Anything else i should know/do ? Thanks !

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NOW right now at least 1 bottle per day and you may really have to work at it. or else take him away from mom all together so he is hungry PATIENCE is the key here.

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The sooner you do it, the easier it will be. He's only four days old now, so he should be easy to transition now. As long as he's living with his dam, he will likely not be interested in the bottle. The best way would be to take him away from mom now and start bottle feeding him. Once he is nursing well off his bottle, if the dam is still willing to nurse him, you could leave him with her part of the day, taking him away overnite and bottle feeding, if you're not wanting to bottle feed several times a day. Emotionally, it would probably be best for the goats to separate them permanantly at this time so they don't have to go through the stress of being separated part of each day.

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks guys ! I would prefer to get him to take the bottle but keep him with mom untill they pick him up, as i don't want the hassle of having to bottle him if that makes sense. Can i tape her teats to make him hungery ? Then milk her out and try then ?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You can whether it will work or not is the question.

6. coso

coso Guest

Taping teats is an exercise in futility if you ask me, especially when the kids get a little older. You can't put the darn tape on there good enough for them not to get it off.

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I would take him completely away from mother, wait until he is good and hungry then try a warm nipple with warm milk. If he doesn't eat, wait a while longer and try him again. Some kids have to get *very* hungry before they will take a bottle.
    If the milk is too warm or too cold, the kid probably won't like it, so get it to just the right temp. When trying to get a frustrating kid to take the nipple, I sit with him sitting curled up on my lap(on a towel as it can be a messy procedure), tuck him under one arm so he is comfortably restrained, and try to feed him that way, supporting and restraining his chin with one hand while feeding him with the other.
    Sometimes it takes a while but he is so young it shouldn't be that hard.

8. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks all !

ozark_jewels - Thank you for explaining the procedure as well - i was wondering how best to hold him.

How hard is this goind to be on his dam ? I feel so bad for her - she is just so in love with her little boy :+(

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh she will beller but she'll be ok.

10. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I've always been able to get little ones (deer, calves, and a couple goat kids) to take bottles. I just hold them firm and put the bottle in their mouth. Don't let them get it out of their mouth. They may kinda knaw on it or whatever for a while. After a few minutes, take it away and give them a break. Just do this each time and eventually they will figure out what it is and suck. My little kids were at least 2 or 3 weeks old and they took a bottle like this. The doe was slower to catch on.

11. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, two more questions - once he leaves or is taken away, will it be best to put mom back in with the girls, or keep her in the kidding stall for a while ?

I'm also milking her once a day in the evening now - but i'm not seperating her and the kid at all either so am really only getting a cup or two per milking. Once baby is no longer here or nursing, can i continue 1x per day milking, or should i really go to twice a day ( am and pm ) ? I don't need a ton of milk from her, but would still like some - i'm just concerned about her udder health.

Oh man, i'm gonna feel so bad for her by taking her baby away - it does get better though, doesn't it ?

Thanks !

12. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

The best way to do this is to separate the kid from the mother at night. In the morning, while the kid is hungry, offer it a bottle. A pritchard nipple works great for kids like this. For those of you who dam raise, if you would do separate the kid nightly and offer the new born kid a bottle of its mother's milk every morning, not only would it help bond the kid to humans, but if the doe got sick and had to be treated, or you udder the doe up for showing, or sell the kid, it is already used to taking the bottle.

13. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thats a great idea Tim ! I bet that will make it easier on mom when the kids leaves as well. At 4 days old is he ok to go all night with out eating ? Thanks !

14. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Well if you were bottle raising a kid - it would go all night without eating, so yes, it can be separated from mother at night and fed in the morning. Just make sure there is a dry place that protected from the wind that your kid can stay in at night. He will be all right.

15. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I have always found the boys are slower to catch on... :shrug2

16. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

oh, you really need to milk the doe twice a day since you have a dairy doe. Not milking her will put a strain on her udder and udder attachments. Alpines should give an abundance of milk- are you sure she is only producing a cup?
    She should be producing more way milk than what this kid is able to take - What is the doe's age? Even a first freshener should be giving 3 quarts or more a day. Can you give us any clues to her overall health? Speaking of udder health, are both sides of the udder even? A single kid will often nurse only one side.

17. Ashley

Ashley New Member

He was very food motivated. The doe was also more needy (wanted mom) and the buck more adventurous.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes milk her twice a day and start now she should be producing way more than a cup now.

19. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Her udder looks great - very even and tightly attached, little man does actually eat on both sides - oh, and just found out last night that he is not sold yet - buyer can't make it so i don't have to bottle him :+) She does have tiny FF teats - but they are starting to get a little bigger :+)

She is actually my Saanen doe - the rest of them are alpines. She is giving more like 3/4 of a Quart size canning jar at about 6 pm when i milk her . I think she should be giving more too, her dam averaged 16lbs per day as a 2nd freshner i was told. Should i try seperating them for 8 hours or so then see what she gives me ?

She seems to be in very good body condition, but i admit, i'm most likely not feeing what i should be for milk production - i am feeding her barley, Alfafa pellets ( though she won't really eat them anymore since giving birth ??? ) oats and beet pulp and a sprinkle of BOSS - plus she is getting alfalfa/grass mix hay free choice and purina minerals.

Carmen is only my second milker - i messed up with my first one last year when it came to getting the lactation ration right, and still need help - i have three more does due this year.Last year my alpine really lost condition during lactation and i want my girls to produce, but keep some condition this year. So far Carmen looks good, and i'd like to keep her that way and up her milk - what can i do ?

I was thinking about going to the feed store on Sat. and trying to get something else - any suggestions ??? What about a dairy cow pellet ? Or is there some sort of purina feed that would work for her ? Or a simple but effective recipe for a mix ( for 300lbs worth ) i could have them put together for me ? Thanks !!!

20. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Beet pulp is good if they wont eat the alfafa pellets...