Whats going on with this udder ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Apr 2, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

My - perfect kidding. I milked out some colostrum and have been watching her buckling nurse - he started out nursing both sides - however i still was milking her out 1 time per day.

Yesterday was my first day back to work since she kidded. When i got home, it was apparent that he has now picked just one side, and her other side was just engorged and hard. It was so full i had a hard time milking her out, then i noticed this just isn't right. That side now seems swollen, the teat is bigger, and the udder has firm "meaty" parts in it, like the floor of her udder on the teat. It is not hot ( it's the same temp as the other side ) and milk looks normal. However with this swelling i can't seem to milk her out all the way, or even tell if she is empty by feel. It does seem to bother her a little too - she is a FF and isn't perfect for milking yet, but on that sides she fusses more then the other.

So last night i hot-packed it and massaged it, and tried more milking - but it only seemed to help a little bit.

What else can i do ? What could this be ?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Please help, something is wrong with my doe's udder....

tape up the other side or so the buckling has to nurse off the full side during the day when your gone. Take her temp

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, when i get home tonight i will take her temp - since i don't have internet at home, if her temp is higher then 103 should i get her on something ? I think i have some penn. and also some biomyacin - which would be better ?

Also, if i do just tape her other side will he be smart enough to nurse the bad side, or will he just go hungery ?

Anything else i should do ?

Thanks !

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If the baby just nurses one side and the other gets too full, the doe can develop some edema on that one side as her milk comes in. I think that's the swelling you're feeling. If you teat tape the side the kid is nursing from, be sure the full side is milked down enough that it's easy for the kid to latch on to the teat. When the udder gets too full and hard, it can become difficult for a young goatling to latch on and nurse. If he's able to get on, he will nurse the untaped side. Kathie

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't give antibiotics unless 104 or above give her a bunch of Vit C also yep milk some out of that side so the kid can latch on. Then be sure and milk out the other side in the am. going to long between milkings can ruin an udder real fast.

you might want to read this on edema or mastitis also

https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,1638.0.html

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks you two !!! I was VERY worried ! However, i think maybe it is just edema ? I took her temp last night - 103.3, and milked her out - it seemed a bit better already. Then i milked her out again before i went to bed. This morning i milked her out again, got a lot more milk, it is still a bit swollen, but much less, he teat feels about 80% normal as does her udder. So i milked out the other side as well( the good side ), and taped it - so the buckling will be nursing that side while i'm at work today - then i'll be milking her again once i'm home.

She will be milked twice a day after she is 100% again ( till then at least 3 times a day as i can ) - will 2 times be enough then ?

I'm off to read Sondra's link :+)

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

LOL ! So i read Kaye's post from the link Sondra gave me, and now i'm almost sure it's just edema - as i forgot to mention, when i milk that side out it is indented where my hand was - so leaves a hand print for a little bit ! if you poke it you can also leave a finger print :+) Thanks again !

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah good yep keeping her milked out is the key