What type of hay?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janettemoore, Feb 6, 2008.

1. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

What is the best hay for our dairy goats? My DH found some round bales of coastal, nearby and reasonable. Needed some for the cows, too. My goats have barely sniffed at theirs. They can and do graze in pasture . DH had wanted to get Haygrazer for the goats, but was more expensive and farther away. I do feed alfalfa pellets mixed in their grain. Cannot figure how to feed alfalfa pellets free choice as the goats go crazy and pig-out and scare me. Any suggestions?

Janette

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I feed brome mix hay here as its all we can get here but the girls get their alfafa pellets twice daily, if they had it free choice tehy would not tough the other hay. I make sure they gets lots of pellets in their grain and do put some out for them also in a different dish. We cant get alfafa hay here because of the late snow and it killed all the local lafafa growing ehre.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

For grass hay, I think I like the bermuda's the best. I cut my own hay, and to be honest with you, my girls would rather have that old junky mixed wild grass and weed hay more than anything.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:crazy Mine are the same way Whimm...the more weeds in it the better they like it... :crazy

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Janet
    coastal burmuda is just fine but get you some feeders and feed those alfalfa pellets separate from their grain they will calm down or not but don't worry abt them and the alfalfa pellets Mine act like maniacs. I feed the 5 bucks now two buckets full of pellets and all the grass hay the want They dive into the pellets till thier gone. :) the girls all get at least 3lb of alfalfa pellets each per day and they need it to have enough calcium to either freshen out or produce milk only grain on the stand never alfalfa pellets on the stand

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

My goats love alfalfa hay but there is waste , like the stems and lots of juicy small leaves fall off, so have to put it in a hayfeeder with a bottom to catch what drops or the goats will eat the poop pellet dirt to get the tasty lil leaves and then you will have to worm them.

I am feeding coastal Bermuda but they want and beller for grain mix and forget the hay :(

7. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

Good information. I feel better now. Will start being more aggressive with the pellets. What brand of alfalfa pellets do you use, and price? Just so I can figure if I need to do more research on that! I think I'm paying $19.90/100lbs for Wendlent.

Janette

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My friend free feeds alfalfa pellets to her goats in a calf creep feeder. They do not overeat it the way they would grain. I prefer to feed alfalfa hay to my goats. I also get grass hay. It's native grasses and I think it contains brome. One guy I got grass hay from had weds in the hay. The goats liked it. I can also get Timothy, but they don't seem to like that as well.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Janet the best alfalfa pellets are over there in Byran at Producers 17% don't know their price now. I just can't drive down there often and get them but are perfect especially for babies. I use Brant Feeds here but are 14% @ 7.60 per 50lb

10. Katarina

Katarina New Member

the alfalfa pellets are producers in Bryan were $8.25 a week ago...the price does fluctuate some, but I have never seen it fluctuate much more than 5-10cents. This is per 50lbs. HTH

11. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I just picked up 100lbs and payed 18.70 for 17%. drawing a blank on the brand. I think it had some thing that started with a "B" and something else in smaller print.. two words first one being merry or marry... something like that. I do remember the alfalfa is from Nevada.