What to look for when evaluating a young doeling ???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Mar 20, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I am very new to goats and conformation, but am learning and have read the ADGA LA booklets serveral times as well as other sources, but still have a long ways to go :+)

I have a Alpine doeling born 2/22/08 that i would like to know if she is more then just pretty - but what do i look for at this age ? What may get better or worse ? Can i tell anything by looking at her teats/future udder at this age ?

Thanks !

Chrystyna~

2. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I am FAR from an expert but I know when I look at different doelings born here this year I can already see some differences. For instance, one will obviously have longer teats than the other and the length of body and spring of rib can be seen at very young ages. Also good feet/legs (or at least really bad ones) can be spotted. Other than that, you pretty much have to look at the parents.

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Look for obvious stuff like under/overbite, double teats, fishtail teats, that kind of thing. You really can't tell how correct the udder will be at this point, but you can judge overall dairy character, feet and legs, width of chest/barrel and hips, topline, etc. The LA book will give you pretty good guidelines. You really can't judge body capacity at this age because that comes with time.

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks ! That really helps :+)