What to feed the boys.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madeleine M., Jul 12, 2008.

1. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

As this is my first year having boys, I wanted to see if you'll could tell me what you feed your bucks and wethers. I have a young ND Buck and Nubian whether.

2. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I feed mine Boer Goat Feed that has amonium chloride mixed right in. I can't remember the actual name but it is made by ACCU feeds (cargill) - meat maker maybe??

Anne

3. coso

coso Guest

I also feed about a pound and a 1/4 of a meat goat pellet with ammonium chloride, with free choice orchardgrass/alfalfa hay. They have browse also. They probably don't need the pellets but I'm paranoid about getting UC.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are you close enough to go up to Producers in Bryan and purchase the meat goat pellet with rumensin? That is what I would feed.

Do you have a Pilgrims dealer near you? Pilgrims meat goat pellet is what I use....you can also up the protein and get the show goat if you want, fish meal is what is used to up the protein so I use the plain meat goat. It's an alfalfa pellet based pellet. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I feed mine alfalfa pellets only and grass hay unless in rutt.

6. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

Just curious if the growing boys have more of a need for the protein (and whatever else may be in the bagged feed) than a grown buck on a maintenance diet. Also, if so, at what age should they be switched over to maintenance?.......Mike

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Grain is not a maintenance diet for bucks. Browse, grass hay, alfalfa hay or pellets is. Now a heavily used buck in rut, if you can even get them to take time to eat, and to get them back into shape after rut, yes grain is important. So really the needs of the young buck (along with as much milk as you can pump into him for as long as you can possibly can) and the grown buck in rut is the same.

Energy and carbs from grain. Since both forms of energy, calories and carbs causes urinary calculi in the male of the species I just prefer to feed a meat goat pellet that contains ammonium chloride and is really a complete feed with vitamins and minerals, because my boys simply aren't mineral eaters like the girls.

When you live in the frozen north grain does have it's place in a maintenance diet of bucks because they need energy and calories to keep warm also. Vicki

8. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

There is also an excellent article on feed, care, and management of your bucks in Goat Keeping 101 by Tim Pruitt. I copied it and put in my notebook. :biggrin

Camille

9. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

what do yo feed while in the rutt?

10. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Not Sondra, but we also feed alfalfa and grass hay. When they are in rut, they get Boer Goat Developer and alfalfa hay.

Otherwise, they just get a very nice 2nd cutting orchard grass hay (14%). they look great (the 3 year olds scored LA 91VEE) and throw beautiful kids, so works for us!

Camille

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Not in rut, they get alfalfa pellets, hay and browse.

In rut, show goat pellets and alfalfa pellets, hay and browse.

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I feed Meat Goat developer the entire first year and through the first rut. Then feed alfalfa pellets and grass hay until Aug. Then slowly start with the grain again through rut.

Christy