What to feed my goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sydney11, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Sydney11

Sydney11 New Member

I will be getting two Nigerian dwarf does in a few weeks. One will be 8 weeks old the other will be 7 weeks old. I have read so many different articles and am still having a tough time figuring out what and how to feed them. They will have forage for a little while until it’s all gone. Is it possible to just feed alfalfa pellets instead of hay? Is chaffhaye better than alfalfa? Do I need to feed grain, and if so what kind is recommended and how much should I feed?
    goatiegirl22 likes this.
  2. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

Goat absolutely need long stem hay to keep their rumen healthy, alfalfa pellets supplement the hay. You can feed alfalfa pellets instead of grain. I prefer to feed growing kids a good quality goat feed along with loose minerals made for goats. The minerals I feed free choice.

Chaffe Hay is good stuff, better than alfalfa pellets, but they do still need some dry hay for proper rumen function.

I feed Blue Seal goat feeds mixed with whole native oats, and add soaked beet pulp in the colder months for extra calories, calcium and water.