What to do

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I just can't make up my mind. I sell at our local farmer's market. Small town of 6000. Don't do a huge business but along with other crafts and baked goods it brings in some weekly cash and there is no cost to sell there.

Next week I've been invited to set up outside the local B&B. There is a week long event going at the college and the town sets up different events all week long to take advantage of all the visitors. So the owner of the B&B is inviting selected vendors to set up booths on her property and is asking $25 to cover advertisement. The B&B is 5-6 blocks straight down the road from the FM. FM is on the town square but the B&B is a bit closer to the college (though off the beaten path). FM runs 8-12, the 'show' is running 9-4. I have shade at the FM and none at the B&B unless I purchase a canopy. (I've always thought I should get one but have never really had the NEED until now.)

So.....do I spend $25 to set up in the sun and/or chance a rainy day (which would be a total loss even with a canopy I think), or just stick to the FM???? I'm thinking if there are more people in town won't they be just as likely to hit the FM?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I would stay at the FM

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Do you want the money from the folks who frequent the farmers market, or the money folks have that frequent a B&B? I would choose the B&B.

Do you have enough help and product to do both? It would be an excellent time to meet and sample some of your soaps and lotions etc...in tiny sample sizes also to the B&B also. Vicki

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Ideally, yes, I would do both. I can get a couple of my older dc to stay at the market table and the other vendors know us well enough that they'd help them if they had any problems.

But is there a way I can shade my soap table without a full canopy? I don't know that an umbrella would help much. Plus we often deal with wind that would make it unstable. I doubt it will be hot, it only got up to 67 yesterday. So maybe even with sun it would be okay?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH now that is a good idea you need to do that by all means and this time of year I wouldn't really worry abt the shade either. Don't think it would hurt the products but you might get a bit uncomfortable. Years ago I used to do hand made jewerly outside up there with no shade.

6. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Alrighty then. I'll do both. :)