What to do with scents that don't sell

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Namely, chocolate! :LOL I have 22 bars and I'm tired of counting them. I'm going to cut them in half and give as samples maybe. But do you ever worry that the scent of your samples might turn people away from your soaps in general? Oh, and then there's Dragon's Blood. I sold the last of my FO but I still have 20 bars. Can you tell I'm updating my inventory?

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I put them in my "Discontinued Soaps" basket and mark them down. People really buy them up when they think they are getting a good deal!

Chrsity

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I have a cafe' mocha that I CAN'T MOVE!!! Even in my $3 basket...Online I sell "bunch o' bars" They are mix of my discontinueds, experiements, uglies and ends. I say 10 oz of soap for $5. But they don't get to choose what's in them so I sneak the ones that one even move for $3 in there...he, he, he. I still sell out within a week usually of posting bunch o' bars so it works.

Or you can grate them up and put them in almond like vicki does. I used too, but I hate grating them up.

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oooooh, I wonder if I chunked a couple up and made a chocolate mint (heavy on the mint)? Anything with mint is usually a good seller for me and if I didn't use too much of the choc. the mint would come through over the chocolate. And pink and brown are *in* right now. Maybe I'll give that a try. Even in a bargain bin I don't think I'll get rid of all of them. :LOL

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

that is funny because my Chocolate sold the best for me. am out and need to make more

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If I am later than I am comfortable with someones order, I will send them a free bar....or to a really good customer I will put a free bar of soap into a soap saver.

Either folks love or hate Dragons Blood, is it the really good one from IFT or is it the soft powery one that doesn't go black in soap?

Make a mint bar and put chocolate curls on the top. Make a cinnabun bar and put chocolate chunks in it.

Rename the chocolate bar....Save it for your valentines bags and make chocolate lotion to go with it, or the warming gel with glycerin :)

Bethany, get a cheap food processor just to use for grating soap, use the cheese disc.

Everyone has failed batches, bars you can't put your name on because they are cut wrong or fall and you break in and edge...grating them up for one of you line just makes economic sense :) And using your OMH scent plain without the added Honey FO is the perfect almond scent! Vicki

7. Happytailzfarm

Happytailzfarm New Member

Either folks love or hate Dragons Blood, is it the really good one from IFT or is it the soft powery one that doesn't go black in soap?

What does IFT mean? I personally love Dragon's Blood! Is there a Dragons Blood that doesnt go black? I would love to know of that one.
    thanks
    Aletha

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Wellington sells the Dragons Blood that is the color of mocha coffee with cream. It's very powdery. Anyone who is after real patch/nag champa will not like this Dragons Blood.

IFT, like the old Royal Aromatics, and Wellington and others make all the fragrance, sell it to gals who cut it and then sell it to us :) Vicki

9. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I got my DB from Susan and it's very dark. I like the scent though it's not for me. And yes, I have a few customers that do love it. But most do not. LOL I'll probably just hang on to it so when those few want it I will have it for them. But not the chocolate. The scent is nice and I will use the remaining FO in candles. I like the idea of curls on top of mint. And I'm nearly out of mint. :)

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Kathy put together a chocolate spa basket and include the soap?

11. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

I usually chunk up stuff that isn't selling and put it in new soap. Or uglyyyyyyy batches get chunked up and put in new.... this pic is of an orange spice soap that I put a brown/black green soap that looked like baby poop.

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Very pretty Amanda!

Christy