What to do with infertile buck???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by D Bar J Acres, Feb 18, 2008.

1. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Hi, I have a 2 y.o. Nigerian Dwarf buck, who is just awesome and his full brother is winning all the shows he goes to (I don't show). I've tried using Keith on 7 different does now over the last two winters and he's only successfully conceived with one. The others all came back open and were bred to another buck (some were first timers, some experienced). So, I'm feeling Keith is no good as a breeding buck - don't know anyone that can help collect him and the vets around here don't get that involved with goats.

So, is there anyway to castrate a 22 month old buck successfully? It's either that, or I'm gonna post that he's available for a meat buck for any of the ethnic groups that like that nasty odor/taste. He's got such a nice disposition I'd like to keep him as a pet, but not if he's gonna just keep peeing on himself and such.

What do you guys do in a case like this? Thanks, Jenny

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

are you using BoSe with him? 30 days prior to breeding?
    yes he can be banded get the calf bands

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

To eat! A sterile buck running around is just a waste of feed/time/headaches, not to mention the *smell* factor.
    He may be carrying super dupper genetics but the only way you're going to get them out of him is by sperm. Which he obviously isn't giving. Cut your losses and buy a fertile buck.
    Just looking at the practical side.
    Kaye

4. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Kaye, yes for someone else to eat! I'm not gonna eat him, yuck! I have a delicate palate!

I have two other wonderful fertile bucks. But he's my first nigie buckling, so he's special to me besides the genetic factor.

I hope I can find some that will take him to butcher, even if they want to do it on my farm. I'd rather have him go to use, vs. just putting him down when he's healthy and I won't sell him at auction to make a few bucks, I've seen what local goats look like when they ride around on the kill buyer's trailers for awhile. Sick and disgusting.

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Have you thought of using him for dog food ? Sorry if it sounds gross but you will know how he is killed and know that he is being used to feed something.

Patty

6. Sondra,

Would lack of bose possibly cause a buck not to breed.....as in extending fully to breed?

Thanks!

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I banded a 2 yr old buck with success with a calf bander and he did just fine and the smell was gone too. It took about a month and he didnt even act bucky around the does. the sack fell off in about 3 wks and he was a great pet. He was our first buck born here also and very gentle. I sold him not to long ago for a family pet. they just love him.

8. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

The dog food idea is a good one. We always do get venison or family/friends cleaned out freezer meat, and feed "hot" feed to the outside dogs in winter. As the deer seem to evade us the last 2 years, the dog meat supply is very low.

I wondered about banding and thought that maybe wouldn't work, but maybe it would be a good time to try now in winter with no flys or mud. I was wondering if they'd still stay "bucky". I know they geld (castrate) stud horses and donkeys and usually the breeding desire goes away and they are calm gentleman.

Thanks, Jenny

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Believe that BoSe does help with fertility in bucks but pm Kaye or Vicki for sure on that.
    Sure is something I would try if I liked the buck.
    Banding the buck will make him not stink but he most likely will still have bucky instinks to some extent.