What to dip navels with?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Pamela, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Pamela

Pamela New Member

I went out to buy 7% iodine and as most everyone knows by now no one is carrying the 7% anymore. They did have Tramedine(sp?) is this just as good or is there something else. The lady at the store suggested tea tree oil. What is everyone using this year?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Some use chlorhexidine, some Iodine, some Nolvasan.

The objective here is use something that will cauterize(sterilize and dry out) the navel cord and prevent bacteria from entering through it.

Since you couldn't find it OTC...you might try a vet's office. Or order it online. Last bottle I got was from a pharmacy.7% because they only had the 1% iodine(weak) at the feed stores. Course my pharmacy KNOWS I'm not a meth-head and can't 'cook' anyway. :blush
    Kaye

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I can still get the 7% thru Hoeggers and even Caprines or possibly Jeffers...dont know about around here as I order it. Yep thats true we can all thank the Meth makers for causing this problems...they use it to make the crap... :mad

4. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Um, Kathy, when was the last time you ordered if online? Last I checked Jeffers doesn't have it anymore (they were selling it out and we bought a few bottles). I just checked Caprine Supply and they only have Triodine-T Iodine Tincture..... I didn't think it could be bought anywhere except from the vets office/pharmacies.

I'm going to be using the 7% since I have several bottles.

Suriyah

5. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Check with PBS Animal Health. I bought a case of 7% from them not long ago, just in case it got hard to find. They acted like they didn't know anything about it being removed from the market. Their phone number is: 800/321-0235, might see if they still have some.

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Just looked at PBS they list Triodine and an iodine wound spray where they do not give the %....

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

8. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Sondra thats what I got today at the feed store for kidding (our local Wilco feed store that is). I am hoping that is good to use for the kids:-/.

Justine