What should I do?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. I had contacted a breeder about using their buck for one of my does. My doe didn't come in heat in time and the buck was moved to another farm. At the time I had no Nubian bucks to use on my doe, I wanted her to freshen this year so when she was in heat (my buck wouldn't breed.) I bred her to a pygmy (My other buck). Next week I will know if she settled or not. If she doesn't come back in heat, should I lute her and terminate the pregnancy or leave it be? Reason for asking, I was just contacted by the breeder, I could use the other nubian buck to breed her if she doesn't settle. At the time of breeding my doe he was recovering from being sick so his owner wasn't sure if he'd be breeding any more this breeding season.

    I just dont know what to do. I wish I had a nubian buck that would actually breed the does. This is just so frustrating. If she settles, they will be Nubian x Pygmy. If I lute her and she's bred to the other buck I'll have purebred registerable nubians. And I like the nubian buck.
     
  2. stacy adams

    stacy adams New Member

    993
    0
    0
    IMHO, & for what it's worth, I would keep the breeding you have.. Yea, yea, yea, registered Nubian's and all that, Kinders are rather popular in some areas and milk is milk. If your just looking for some registered kids to sell, then by all means, lute her and go for that Nubian buck, but you could also be looking at not getting her bred for a while. Take a deep breath, this is only a season. :D get that girl milking and plan for the fall!
     

  3. Well the doe in question is my show doe. I had plans for her kids if she was bred to the other buck that went to another farm. And if she was bred to the nubian that is available now, he's a really nice buck IMO.
    I personally do not like kinders, and if she is bred to the pygmy and has any buck kids they are going to be butchered, already got those plans set.

    Right now I wish I wouldn't have bred her and just left her dry. Oh well. Cant turn back the clock. :(

    Thanks for the replies.
     
  4. UnRuli Acres

    UnRuli Acres New Member

    43
    0
    0
    Besides, if she took with the pygmy breeding and you luted her then there is always the possibility that she doesn't come back in to heat properly or you don't get her bred (we dealt with that in Babbette last year right Vicki?). I would also consider that since the nubian buck you'd be breeding her to was ill........it's entirely possible it may have affected his fertility, and of course, what was he ill from? Do you want to risk that too?

    geesh....did that even make any sense? I think I need to go to bed now.
     
  5. The buck has settled does after he was sick. He's healthy now.

    I'll just leave her go.


    thanks
     
  6. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    0
    0
    yep I agree you should leave her be this year or you might not get a breeding at all as tis getting late.
     
  7. If she ended up not breeding and going dry i'd be ok with it. The way this year has started out, and if it continues on the same track its going I wont be able to afford any shows. I am already looking at a $300ish vet bill on Monday/Tuesday. And I'll have atleast two more vet visits. One to make sure my horse is healing correctly. And then again when she's fully healed so I can get the ok to start working her under saddle again.

    In a way I'm hoping she's not bred. But if she is bred I hope she gives me two buck kids that grow really well and can be butchered quickly.
     
  8. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    0
    0
    yep and if it was me I would butcher what ever came out.:)
     
  9. Yea....I'm gonna wait and see if she's bred. if she is then we'll see what she has. If the breeder wants to butcher the does to that's fine by me....Im not keeping any kinder kids. Heck if she wants all the kids to eat that's fine!!! I wont care.