What should goat milk taste like?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by emeraldcowgirl, Jun 26, 2011.

1. emeraldcowgirl

emeraldcowgirl New Member

I'm reading a book about keeping dairy goats and the author says that goat milk should taste exactly like cow milk. Is that true? I had a friend once tell me that goat milk has a bit of "gamey" flavor as an after taste. Nana's milk tastes...well, goaty. What should goat milk taste like? If goat milk isn't supposed to taste goaty then how can I get it tasting like cow milk? Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep...I know that most think grocery store milk is the devil, but just like making bread and trying to get it soft and gluteny like grocery store bread....there should be no difference to the mouth and tongue from grocery store milk and any raw milk. Visually you can see butterfat on the top of your cereal etc... butterfat also will glug now and then out of the milk jug...but taste? No, milk is milk.

Our 4H club also did taste tests and my daughter did a science fair project on this...it was pure guessing when someone said they knew it was nubian milk, instead of alpine or lamancha milk when blindfolded....now everyone thought the boer milk was nubian milk :) You can feel the butterfat thickness on your tongue. But that is shortlived as their kids age and they wean. Vicki

3. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

I don't think it should ever be goaty or bucky or barny or bitter. To me these can (but not always) indicate illness or cleanliness problems. Like Vicki said, sometimes the fat can blob up here and there just because the milk is not mechanically homogenized, but the flavor should be "good". Sweet, pleasant, no yucky aftertaste. Sometimes it tastes like store-bought cow milk and sometimes it is much more delicious.

4. nightskyfarm

nightskyfarm New Member

Having both cow and goat milk on the farm, the goat milk should be sweet and creamy when milked cleanly and chilled correctly. The cow milk as it is heavier has what I call more body to it which can be attributed to the butterfat differences. never should goat milk taste goaty or off in any way, that would indicate high bacteria coming from poor practices or an ill animal. The difference we have found with the cow milk is that when a cow is determined pregnant and still lactating, her milk becomes noticeably less sweet. I can only say that perhaps the hormones of pregnancy play a role in that. Having only one cow, you did taste a difference. I am not sure if the goat would be similar.

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

A brave newcomer in our church gave goat milk a try for the first time yesterday. After taking a sip he said "Hey, it tastes like milk!" lol That said I can for sure taste a difference between cow and goat but most don't.

6. lonestrchic23

lonestrchic23 New Member

My brother SWEARS he hates goat's milk, due to a taste of goaty milk that was the result of unsavory milking & handling procedures at a farm he visited in HS.

He typically drinks store bought, whole cows milk. Stayed with me for a week, unknowingly drank goat's milk the entire time....made comments on how great the brand of milk I was buying was (I put goat milk in a plastic jug I got from work, looks like a gallon jug from the store).

At the end of the week I told him he'd been drinking goat's milk his entire stay ;)

It should not taste goaty..... I've only had goaty milk when I didn't sterilize properly.... I now use a 3 step sanitizing system from Hoeggers & haven't had goaty milk since....

7. sarafina

sarafina New Member

The only goat's milk I have tasted is Vickie's and it is absolutely DELICIOUS! Rich and creamy and no "goaty" or gamey taste at all.

8. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

All of our goat milk always tasted wonderful. We had one doe that would have a goaty after taste to her milk when she was at the height of her heat cycle. It only lasted for a day or two and always went back to delicious and wonderful afterward.

9. nightskyfarm

nightskyfarm New Member

Audra, that would give a little credence to the hormonal influences, though I think family lines may play a role as well.

10. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Goat milk is usually consumed raw around our farm. You must be very clean with goat milk as bacteria will break down the milk releasing that "goaty" taste into the milk. Our milk will usually last 2 weeks before tasting "goaty".

There is a difference between cows and goat milk but most won't taste the difference. One fall as our goats were drying up, someone needed our milk for a baby. I put whole cows milk (from the store) into a glass jar and took it into the house. The next morning, my wife had the cows milk in her cereal. She immediately said, "Tim! There is something wrong with the goats! This milk taste awful." Then after the next bite she said, "This is cows milk isn't it?"

So you can taste the difference and most people that I have challenged in a blind taste test preferred the goat milk over cows milk.

11. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

We drink ours raw, too and the only time we notice is a difference is in the fall. Not the entire fall, but sometime in the fall for a week or so. However, I really like the cheese better out of the fall (or later lactation milk) than I do early in the lactation. So go figure. More fat, I guess.

12. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

When I tell people we drink the goat milk, they all ask the same question.
    What does goat milk taste like? I tell them, milk. There are times when it
    will have a different flavor, but almost every time it has happened, it was
    because of something I did. Either didn't get the udder cleaned well enough,
    didn't get the milk chilled quick enough or something. We can tell when our
    girls eat something out of the ordinary, because the milk tastes a bit different.
    (I know many will poo-poo this, but you try drinking milk after your goat has
    eaten wild onions)

Depending on whether you are used to whole milk from the store or 1%, there
    is a bit of a different "mouth feel" to it because of the fat content. Other than
    that it should taste like milk.

Super clean everything and chilled as quick as you can.

13. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

To me cows milk taste a bit "cowy".

My does milk taste piney after they chow down on pine needles.

14. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

Depending on my mood, sometimes I am not very nice when people say
    "Oooh, I had goat milk once and it tasted like goat!" I look them in the
    eye and ask them how they know what a goat tastes like, have they ever
    licked one? :really

15. sarafina

sarafina New Member

:rofl

16. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Aw, Michele.... Actually, we have friends who had goats before. The milk was definitely stronger tasting than what most would prefer, and as one of them said, "It tasted like I drank some milk and then licked a goat." Apparently, it was that particular line of goats and not a cleanliness issue. But he likes our milk just fine, though he was afraid to try it at first.

17. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I love it when people at market say "I love goat cheese but I dont think I'd like that flavor in my milk..."

I ask them "does your cow milk taste like cheddar?"

18. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

I could tell the difference between my Alpine milker and my Saanen/Nubian milker.
    Their milks do have a tiny bit of difference in flavor. Although it may have just
    been the difference in butterfat, I don't know. And my current Miniature Saanen
    has the best milk of them all, IMO. So, I do understand how someone could be
    unhappy with the flavor.
    I can't honestly say I have "licked" a goat, but I have tasted plenty of goat hair,
    meds and the occasional hoof trimming. (Got to learn to keep my mouth SHUT
    when I am working with the goats! :nooo)

19. Trysta

Trysta New Member

We've milked both cows and goats, I like cow's milk fresh (hate it from the store), but LOVE goat milk fresh. It is sweet and does not taste 'goaty' at all (I like the cheddar comment up there!!!) To get my family 'weaned' over from cow-goat I did the same thing as mentioned in another post: put it in a cow-milk jug and no-one had any complaints. Now my kids are in college and all of them chug the goat milk when they're home, one of them always takes a bottle back.

On the taste problem: there's a recent post about it, because I remember reacting to it. I posted then that I heard that Vit. B deficiency in a goat results in bad tasting milk, so you could try to up minerals in general and give Nana a shot of Vit. B complex. Copper was also mentioned and a well balanced ration plus minerals never hurts.

I hope you can figure it out, 'cause good goat milk IS delicious. I did on the other hand taste some incredibly expensive store bought goat milk once, and it was embarassingly BAD!!! Told the person who bought it to forget what it tasted like, because if my milk tasted like that I'd run it down the drain.

20. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

The brand of goat milk they sell in the stores (walmart and albertsons) here is very goaty. So is the chevre. Over-processed, I guess.
    I can taste different flavors sometime that are not bad, like little blue stem or other native plants. More browse=varied flavor, at least here at my place.