What next???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, Sep 26, 2008.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

You know when you have those times when nothing seems to go right and you feel like you are completely inadequate in caring for your animals? (No matter how long you have had them and taken care of them?)

Well this is one of those moments for me. I have been having one thing happen to the goats after the other and all new things to me. Well tonight I went out to do chores and Maria came running for her grain. (It's been a long time since I have seen her run for anything. LOL) She seemed happy and alert and all is well with the world until she squatted to pee. She peed blood. I even went to check and there were small pockets of blood on the hay stalks where she peed.

She was bred on September 12th. I pretty much figure she aborted. Is there anything else I can do or should do for her? I have decided not to breed her again. I have had too many problems with her with kidding and she's 7 so she's done. (Unless she didn't abort that is and is still carrying kids then this will be her last kidding.)

Thanks for letting me vent and for any helpful imformation.

2. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Ok she's 7 yrs. old, What type of goat is she ? and is she a standard or minni ? Does she have a temp? What kind of trouble did you have with her kidding before ? What kinds of preventive vaccines have you gave her ? Is she still bleeding bright red or ? How is she acting now ? What kind of health is she in fat/skinny ? and ..... is she in with a buck now ? How many bucks are in with her ?

just wanting more info :D

3. Maria is a nubian. :)

Goodluck with her. :) Hope there isn't anything seriously wrong with her.

The first time Bubbles aborted she just had a swollen vulva and some blood.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

There isn't really anything to do for her if this is abortion but I would keep and eye on her to make sure it isn't a urinary infection or something and do take her temp.

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

what everyone else said.

plusm, unless this is just the latest in a long line of problem pregnancies, 7 seems awefully young to retire a dairy goat...

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And bred Sept 12th the kids have barely even implanted into the uterus let alone made placenta that would show with blood in the urine on misscarriage. At the most you would have seen a wet tail, the kids and uterine material would be about 1/4 cup of slime with a blood streak going through it, not blood.

What can happen is bucks break cysts on the cervic that have formed over scar tissue.

I also would never retire a 7 year old, she will not have as long of a life barron as she would bred and milking.

I would blood test her via biotracking.com with the schedule they give to see if this is actually coming from the uterus or is something from the cervic or vagina or even her urethra.

But there isn't alot to do, if she does alot of peeing or exaggerated bending low to do that peeing than I would treat her for a urinary tract infection. Vicki

7. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Ok thanks guys I do feel a little better. I will go and take her temp and see what it is. She is eating and doing everything else just fine. She seems perfectly normal otherwise.

Yes Maria is a nubian :).
    She is 7 with 6 freshenings. Her first kidding the kid came sideways and died. (I didn't have her her first kidding.) Second kidding was normal. Third kidding was quads and the birthing was rough. 2 kids died. Fouth kidding was triplets, semi easy kidding but she ended up with milk fever. Fifth kidding was normal twins. Sixth kidding was normal triplets and again ended up with milk fever.

I don't want to retire her and I do know that she would live longer with being bred and milking. (Not sure why that is but I have seen it happen.) She just tends to be a problem goat. I know I can probably relate that to our old management problems (which used to be THE thing to do around here and they always did well on it until the last few years.)

Maybe once I change over to oats and calf manna instead of feed with molasses in it. And stat copper bolusing things will improve. I just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the info guys.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would sure watch the amounts of calf mana and get your water tested so you know if that might be the cause of absorbtion of minerals.