What month of pregnancy can you feel the babies?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Camille, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Camille

Camille Guest

One of my goats that may be pregnant is really filling out. Her tummy is getting round and if she has been bred successfully she will kidd in April. When/how can you feel the babies?

TIA

Camille

2. Well I just felt some kicks in Delilah and she's either due 2/9 or 3/12.

Need to feel right infront of the udder to feel the kids. The kicks are pretty obvious. :)

3. luvmygoats3

luvmygoats3 New Member

If your standing behind the goat would the baby or babies be on the left side? This will be my first year at kidding. Thanks..

4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

More on the right than the left, but when they get far enough along they seem to be all over. You may not be able to ever feel them the whole pregnancy as well. The earliest I've felt them is about 5 weeks from due date.

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

The last month is the earliest I can feel babies. If it is only a single or sometimes twins I can do what some people call "bouncing'. Never works on the does that are just full of kids. Usually, but not always, in the last 2 weeks I can feel lumps and hooves moving around right in front of the udder.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well in over 10 yrs with goats I have felt once babies kicking and was in the last 2 wks so don't get your hopes up with this feeling thing.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol I say it, again, don't use this as a source of knowing if there's babies or not. It's strictly a fascination thing. Only time I feel babies is when I go in to retrieve one.
    But again, I don't bother my does with stomach scratches and certainly not their udders. If someone wants a scratch, I scratch where they can't. Brisket, side of neck, top of tail head. But, I don't *feel* for kids.
    Kaye

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

I guess I am just not that excited to feel babies move. I leave them be as I know they are bred thanks to Bio Tracking.

My does love a good rump scratching. :)

Sara

9. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

:yeahthat

Now I know most of you have been heavy bred at one time or another, do you remember folks coming up and petting you stomach to feel the baby move, well I can and I can tell you I hated it, I actually punched a man one time for doing that very thing. So if I hate I can just imagine how your poor does feel every time you bounce or push to feel their babies. Do them a favor and scratch what they can't or give them a treat and wait the babies will come out they can't stay in there forever so soon enough you will be able to pick'em up, scratch'em, hear'em scream, and feel'em kick without torturing the poor doe.

:biggrin
    Autumn

10. Usually the last 4-6 weeks. Depends on how many they are carrying and how deep bodied they are.
    I use this as a tool in determining when someone is brought to the barn. It's used along with hand breeding dates for December/January/February due dates. Those are the months when it is a bad thing if the doe ends up kidding at the goat pen and not at the milking barn.
    I have definitely been wrong.
    The rumen looks and feels an awful lot like fetal movement. A lot of people are mistaking what they think is fetal movement, but in reality is the rumen. I'm sure I've done that on occassion.
    I don't "bounce" exactly like Fias Co Farm has on their site. I just place my hand in front of the udder to the right a bit and push up slightly. I'm feeling for a heavy uterus or for fetal parts.

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

on the other hand Autumn...that big pregnant belly gets mighty itchy and if you cant scratch it yourself...you might appreciate a hand in that area!

We had cable spools in the doe pen for them to lay on when they so desire. We had a doe yesterday who looked like she was trying to jump up and couldnt make it, her front knees were up there and her back legs stayed on the ground...the more I looked the more I am sure that she was scratching her belly on the wooden edge of the spool!

12. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Well scratching is one thing but bumping, pushing, squeezing is sure another.

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

giggling...you HAVE breeding dates and due dates...why *bump*?
    And Bio-Tracking is STILL the best method for determining preg.

Whatever...this could go on and on...so, if you *like* bumping, go for it, if you feel sorry for those preg. does, don't. At least no one is using, a once suggested mode of a piece of iron rod! OMG, talking about totally insane!
    Kaye

14. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I don't think it is about determining pregnancy. I know for a fact 4 of mine are bred, but I still like to feel the babies move. Makes me excited every time I am lucky enough to feel one kicking around in there. I don't do the bumping thing. I just hug and feel. :D

15. Same here. Never did the bumping...and I guess my girls dont really mind my hand infront of their udder because they could move away if they wanted but they stand still...*shrugs*
    I highly doubt the bumping is all that comfortable so I wouldn't do that to them, and I just shake my head when I see someone posting about bumping the doe in late pregnancy.

16. Camille

Camille Guest

I appreciate all the responses..

This is my first time having goats and I am learning as I go. I would never dream of hurting my does. I have Nigerian Dwarfs. Can you explain more about biotracking? How much is it to test for pregnancy?

I am having a hard time finding a vet who deals with goats around here. Are there any tests I can do myself? Is it worth it for only 3 goats?

Thanks so much,

Camille

17. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We also do not "feel or bump" for babies. We like the sure thing of bloodwork or ultrasound. I have seen some inexperienced people swear by the fact that the doe is bred "because the felt the baby move" and then given the doe not one shot of Lutylase but two to induce a pregnancy that doesn't even exist. :duh
    I just don't think that it is the most reliable thing and certainly wouldn't make any management decisions based on it either - just too much room for error. We will check a FF to see if an udder is developing - and boy do they ever hate that! Might just be my cranky Toggs though.
    Mary

18. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Camille,

Biotracking www.biotracking.com test cost $7.50 each yes it is worth it for even one doe. You can pull you own blood for pregnancy test and CAE..I am now using biotracking for CAE also but you can also use WSU for the CAE Elisa testing.

Autumn

19. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Hi Camille,

I saw your post and thought, "I didn't post anything about that?!" Ha Ha. Seems like very few people have our name so it was kind of "Twilight Zone" to see you signing MY name. LOL.

Camille

20. togg75

togg75 Guest

Maybe some of you girls that do the National Circuit have forgot the joy of having just a few does and the excitement of not knowing what is coming next....

I feel the babies bump every time she gets on the stand to eat. She moves over to me and puts her big ole preggo belly on me for me to feel and that is the first time I ever felt it. She uses me for a scratching post and rubbing post most days. I enjoy the attention. I don't show, and thinking about doing it less and less all the time. I guess that even though we all enjoy the goat species, it's fun that we all have different goals and management practices. life would be boaring if we were all the same.
    :rofl