What makes a soap a castile soap?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Anita Martin, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I thought castile soaps were pure olive oil. Before that I thought they were pure castor oil. But today I was at cracker barrel and they had some castile soaps that were pure coconut oil. Oil, not butter, and they were supposed to be very lathery and skin softening. I thought too much coconut oil could be drying to the skin. Anyway, I figured I'd ask here first.
    Thanks
    Anita

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Hmmm, I thought 100% olive was true castile. Some will add a few things to make it harder and/or lather better but at the very least the majority is olive.

I do make a soap that is 100% coconut. It is superfatted at 20% so it is not as drying as you would think. But still, those sensitive to CO would find it drying. I don't make it anymore except for salt bars.

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Okay, I got it! That's very interesting. I had planned on trimming the 52 overgrown hooves out in my pasture and building a hay rack but the wind is blowing so hard my chickens are actually having a hard time staying earth-bound and are holing up with Atticus in the barn. (quite unusual for them, luckily he likes chickens) Soooo, I am going to stay inside for a while and try a small batch of ALL olive oil, pure castile soap...with added goat milk of course...can't leave that out!
    Thanks!
    Anita