What is your opinion on having surgery on horns this time of year??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sondra, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK I have 3 that need horns removed and would like to do it real soon and not wait for fall. Going to A & M
    think flies will cause a problem this time of year with this type surgery??

2. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I had a doe dehorned in late August at A&M had no problem with healing you can keep fly spray on them and keep them in a clean pen and were no other goats well bump heads with them.
    My big worry was heat in the trip there and back when it is this hot like it is now or in August it can be hard on them and even kill them.
    the thing you could do is travel at night.
    Fran

3. coso

coso Guest

I would wait until winter unless they are really giving you problems. The fly problem being the worst. I remember dad had one dehorned when I was a kid and ended up with maggots down in the nasal cavity. Talk about gross. :ick :ick

4. I too would wait until it is a little cooler. Had done the Hermie in September last year and did not have much of a healing nor much of a fly problem. I am waiting for october this year to re-do one of the Alpine twins. I would swear she didn't have them done at all but I know she did :really. Tammy

5. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

A&M pulls the skin over the nasal cavity and close it up so there is no open wound it is easy to keep clean.
    Winter would be better for the goat butt the bigger they get the more $$$ it cost.
    Fran

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yeah Fran wasn't thinking abt the heat traveling but since they stitch everything closed at A& M wouldn't think the flies would bother that much. Guess if my Van is running then the heat wouldn't be a problem either.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:) well one of them is a 5 yr old so he has big big horns and tho he is a lover when in rutt he can get a little rough. The other is really bad scurs the 3rd is this years boer doeling that never got disbudded

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are flies a problem in your buck pen? I know when Ric did his Alpine buck all that was left was a pretty stitch line. It wasn't the gruesome horror stories you here, and they surely can recommend something for flystrike there. I would do it now before rut. vicki

9. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Well that well be a fun trip :p
    You had better go before he is in rut :/ :rofl
    Fran

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep that is what I was thinking Vicki And, Nope the fly's are not bad at all in their pen because they just got a new pen :)

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Fran UM my VAN is just a goat VAN :) I have a big cage for the back end.
    OK LeeANNE or someone give me the number to call PLEASE Fran do you have it?

12. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

This is the number I called to Pre-Registration before the appointment if it is not the one I am sure they can give you the wright one 979-845-3541
    Fran

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yep surgery and fly spray on his head wrap. I didn't have fly problems with mine this time of year and I still have a live buck giving me beautiful babies!

14. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Or maybe you could use the stuff I use on the dogs ears. I will read the bottle and see what it says about wounds. Course the dogs ears are wounds most of the time when I put it on. And it works all day. Don't have to reapply several times a day.
    Theresa

15. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

smooth line with stitches. think frankengoat. Id rather do it in the summer than wait.

16. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Sondra -- I've had two Oberhasli's done over the years. On my buckling, there wasn't enough skin to be able to pull up and close over the sinus cavities on both sides. So one side was stitched closed and the other open. Since I had him done in July, I kept him bandaged for longer than I wanted because of construction (it was dusty) and insects (though we have minimal flies since I keep manure hauled away from the barns during fly season). If a sinus cavity is left exposed, you may want to bandage until the cavity fills with granular tissue.

Bayer makes a topical antiseptic with an insecticide in it. Has anybody here ever used it?

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thanks for the number Fran am going to call today and see what they say. Tricia haven't used that antiseptic nor heard of it ,but will look into it as would be nice to have on hand. Furall seems to do a fair job of keeping insects at bay also tho.

18. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Hi Sondra :D

I have some that need to be surgically de-horned/de-scurred but also worry about the heat. So far 30 triple digit days here. And many more to come. Very few flies with this heat, even the pig pen is flyless.

So A&M charges different prices for different size goats? Also, is there a discount for more than one? Does anyone know the prices for big goats vs small? Any ideas?

19. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Hi Diane
    It takes more meds to put the goat under to do the surgery if a goat is big and if the goat has a big set of horns or a small scure it all plays with the cost of the surgery.
    I had a 60lbs doe with bad scure cost me 75.00 dollars to get it done.
    Fran

20. Goater

Goater Guest

We just had two done and no problems with flies. The first one was $65, the second was $35, there were a few minor other charges, total was $121 for two overweight two year old MiniManchas