What is up with this doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Carmella is a pygmy doe. Never bred. She was born 3-6-07.

First is a picture of her rear. Two sores on it. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Second, her teats felt really hard to I got pictures of what they looked like. Afterwards I started looking them ever closer and the hard stuff fell off. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

staph would be my first thought.

3. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Not sure what you have going on, but this is how I would treat it.

I would wash her rear and teats either with a bleach water solution or with chlorhexidine. This would treat it as if it were staff and should help it from spreading any more.

Other than that, I think it must run its course.

Good luck with her.

Leslie

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Wear gloves, really scurb this area up to new skin with chlorhexiderm, rinse, spray again and let dry. Repeat daily. Shave her hair off and disenfect your blades, so the sun can get to the udder and clear this up. I would clean my barn and get the bedding out also.

Are you dealing with your copper problems? A good mineral? You may want to think about bolusing this doe if everyone else is fine on your program except her. I would also redo her bo-se and give it to her monthly for awhile to help build her immunity. zinc is also for skin health, and so is fat...make sure her diet contains both...3.5% fat is perfect. Vicki

5. Thankyou. I do have the chlorhexidine on hand. :)

The goats are getting a mineral, I am thinking about changing them to a different mineral.

Thanks for the info. :D