What is the treatment for mange?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jmeares, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jmeares

jmeares Guest

I don't know if we have a lice problem or mange. I have two goats, out of 21, that are becoming hairless on their ears. One is a boer and the other is a toggenburg. Both are now beginning to lose hair on their faces, as well. Is the treatment the same for both conditions? Also, how will treating the heard with whatever treatment you recommend affect my dairy goats in milk?

Julie
    in Kansas

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Certain manges take forever to get rid of because it effects the does immunity. Ivermectin subq at bottle dosages 10 days apart, 3 times. Bo-se. And a series of steroids, like dex. If after using the Ivermectin and you don't have relief and you should see some after the first shot, it's vet time. Vicki

3. jmeares

jmeares Guest

First, what is dex and how is it given? Second, I am assuming I should treat the whole herd, so what is the milk withdrawl time?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You could profilactically treat the whole group for mites in the ears with the subq ivermectin, but unless you are seeing true mange in all the goats, no I wouldn't continue the treatments or use a steroid like Dexemethazone. Lice, Mites and nosebots are nusiance problems see in late winter and early spring that are handled eaisly with Ivermectin and cleaning out the barn bedding where they are living and sunshine. Mange is a whole nother thing.

Ivermectin withdrawal is 28 days. But few use this withdrawal because it is just the carrier and is a people wormer, so 48 hours is pretty typical...I simply try not to have to use it during lactation because of this. I would take the worst offender to the vet for a skin scraping, or if you have access to what you need to run one, do it yourself and send it to your state lab.

Finding out what you are really dealing with is much cheaper and better for the animals than giving them meds they don't need and dumping milk. Vicki

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Just FYI, years ago I had a baby squirrel that had mange. I don't remember exactly what kind, but from what I read I found it was caused by mites. I put DE on it and it immediately cleared up. I was very suprised. Immediately the bald spots grew in!