What is grain?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by sunnygrl_ks, Jun 10, 2008.

1. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

what classifies a certain feed as a grain?

I have always referred to basically all feed as grain, but i'm starting to get the impression that there is a difference, and you can't just say you use grain.

We have plain pelleted feed.

But I know there is pelleted with grains of other things like corn or oats.

And there is feed with mainly just the grains and only some pellets.

I have seen people talk about feeding grain and pellets and alfalfa pellets in one statement, and I'm needing to twist my mind around a concept I never really realized was so difficult.... ( is it just a regional difference of language?)

*edited by BlissBerry - title

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

When we talk grain, you're correct, we mean grain as it is, Oats, Barley, Corn either whole or crimped (or rolled = squished if you will) When we talk pellets, most of the time, we mean Alfalfa pellets, which is a chopped compressed hay that has been extruded.
    Pelleted feed is a whole 'nother thing. It is usually comprised of a variety of grains, minerals, etc: mixed with molasses for palatability and oils for compression. The ingredients in a particular mix can vary with the climate like a drier molasses in the winter and a more fluid one in the summer. Oils can change as well depending on what's cheapest.
    I know.. more than you wanted to know.. :)

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Stacy is correct however many many people say grain when they are meaning a pelleted feed/grain
    Alfalfa pellets is not grain it is alfalfa but pelleted feed/grain also has alfalfa in it as a general rule.
    I mix my own so when I say grain that is exactly what it is Whole oats/steam rolled barley/cracked corn /beet pulp/and BOSS

4. When I say grain, I mean my actual milking grain. (Corn, Oats, BOSS, & a Provider 38, which is a dairy pellet, not a grain like corn...)

Usually when I'm talking about alfalfa pellets I either type the whole name out or abbreviate. (Sp?)

:)

Sondra,

Does your grain mix consist of all of what you listed or just some of it depending on the doe?

5. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

lol.... so everyone does have a little bit of different definition of grain, but I get the general idea.... thanks everyone! :biggrin

6. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Sondra............I was going to try out your "grain mix" I could not figure out what BOSS is.............dumb I'm sure.............I even asked at the feedstore?? :biggrin

The only thing that we could come up with was Boss brand anti-Parasite Permethrin Pour-On! I was pretty sure THAT wouldn't be a good additive! :?
    Tracy

7. Terry

Terry Member

Boss = Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

8. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

OMG! I feed those already~! Thanks.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

My grain mix is
    100lb whole race horse oats
    100lb rolled barley
    25 lb cracked corn
    25 lb BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds):)
    20 lb dry beet pulp

I top dress with knock of of calf mana to certain does.
    everyone gets 1 to 2 lb on the stand per milking depending on the doe.

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Some of the feeding choice comes with territory as I cant get beet pulp and some other types of feed here where I live .
    I am one that feed's alfalfa pellets,whole oats and pellet all stock feed with 1 teaspoon of sunflower seed oil on the stand for my milk doe's and plenty of pasture and browse.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I only put alfalfa pellet in my milk stand grain for a couple of heavy milkers that eat faster than the machine will pump out and I don't want to founder them so they get alfalfa pellets to sift thru :) after they are all milked they are let out to feeders with alfalfa pellets basically free choice.

12. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Linda you cant even get beet pulp at tractor supply? That is the cheapest place to get it around here...

13. Thankyou Sondra :)

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Will say now with BOSS so exspensive I have gone to using sunflower oil or safflower oil as a top dress. 1 tbl per lb.

15. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Tractor supply had their BOSS on sale a couple weeks ago...i only got one bag, should have stocked up! Feed stores here charge almost $30...

16. WOW $30 for BOSS. NO WAY would I pay that much. LOL. I haven't had to buy BOSS yet (We only use 2cups a day so it lasts) If I had a large herd I couldn't feed BOSS but I'm only feeding my two milkers BOSS. :)