What is going on with Molly?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

We were way off on her due date.
    DH lost the paper with her breeding date on it and he also forgot to put it on the calendar so we tried to remember when she was bred.
    That brought us to a due date of 3-7 but she has just now really gotton a full very tight udder this morning.
    She also seemed to be having contractions this AM.
    I watched her for a while and then went to the house for breakfast and more coffee.
    Then after lots more waiting nothing more happened except that she began smelling where she peed and making buck faces.
    Later I gave up and turned her out with the others and they all ran to her. She and her DD actually gave each other a hug but then the others all started smelling and messing with her backside. Even the kids and she kept trying to pee everywhere. I finally gave up again and put her back into the kidding stall but she did not progress so I let her back out and this time she and everyone else acted normal.
    What is going on with her.
    This is my 13 year old doe.

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Well when mine are really close to kidding they do the same thing like the doe is in heat ...I think its smells similiar to that so she is getting really close.

3. Corky

Corky New Member

Thats what I figured but she has still not started anything.
    I swore she was in good labor this morning.

Now she is eating and eating and eating!
    She gobbled her two cups of grain this morning and ate all the alfalfa pellets in her feeder. Not a lot. Maybe three cups were left.
    Then the hay she would not touch last night was gobbled up.
    Now she is at the hay feeder in the regular goat pen eating it. I run her into the sun so I can get a good look at her and she goes right back in to eat hay.
    I am not refilling the feeders because I don't want her to over eat.
    I don't think the hay will hurt her. Gives her something to do.

This old goat has given me fits for the 12 years I have had her.
    I got her as a yearling.
    I will sure miss her when she is gone.

then I have one due April 7th that doesn't even look pregnant except for the cute little udder she is getting.
    Then, I will be done!!!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

if her udder is really really tight then I would go check her and see if she is dialated and having problems.

5. Corky

Corky New Member

I thought of that too Sondra but I thought I would give her a little more time as she doesn't act uncomfortable at all. Just hungry.
    As I am not sure of her due date I know she is very close but not sure if she is late.

6. Corky

Corky New Member

Also, my goats all seem to really go into labor around this time of day. Strange but true.
    If she has not done anything by chore time I will put her on the milk stand (dirty trick but it works) and check her then.
    That is unless I suspect she is having problems.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

also alfalfa pellets won't hurt her a bit they can have all they want around here come kidding time :biggrin

8. Corky

Corky New Member

Well, little miss, "I could eat a horse" ran past me to the milk stand when I went to check on her.(heh heh!) :biggrin I snapped that headlock shut before she could figure out there was no food there.
    I felt her udder again and even though she is walking bow legged because of it, it is still pliable at the teet area. Also her ligs are not as gone as they need to be so she is just not quite ready.
    If she does this in the night I will clobber her!!!

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

HHmm well,I have always had does kid during daytime however this year both does kidded early as in 3am :? and one doe ate hay and talked while she was in labor,infact she ate till one popped out :O .. strange kidding season this year for me . I hope your doe does her normal delivery for you during daytime .... soon !
    Now if I could get them dang NuMancha kids to suck the other teat and even my does udder out,that would be nice :?