What is Bo/Se??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by togg75, Dec 23, 2008.

1. togg75

togg75 Guest

I am on my way to the vets office and I was wondering what to ask for.

He ask me what it was and what it is for? All I know is a Bo/Se shot at about 2ccs..... Help.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Bo-Se is an injectable selenium supplement with injectable Vitamin E added to help the selenium work better. It is used for white muscle disease, to boost the immune system, and as an aid in reproductive soundness.

Copied from the lable:
    Also the order price from Valley Vet with a prescription is : $16.95/100ml (But, be prepared to pay more from the vet.)

There is also a stronger version called Mu-Se to follow.
    Kaye

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Mu-Se

There is no dosage for Mu-Se for sheep on the bottle. All the literature pertains to cattle, where as Bo-Se has lable directions for calves/sheep/lambs/sows/pigs.
    Kaye

4. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Can anyone tell me why it is prescription only for you guys? We don't have Bo-Se up here, but they sell the selenium & vitamin injectable in every feed store... Strange?? It is alot cheaper only 6.95 for 100ml.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Because we have the *pleasure* of dealing with FDA! Food & Drug Administration Plus the big drug companies LIKE RX items...they can charge more for them.

Just like CIDRs...they're legal in Aus.,NZ and most other countries...but not in the good ole' US! Cow CIDRs are legal...??????????????????????
    Kaye

6. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Yeah, like certain drugs , available only by perscription in the US, @13.50/dose, and available mailorder from dozens of sources in Canada @$3.50. GRRRRRR. Oh, sorry--off-topic, I guess. :sigh

Tom

This post has been modified due to content not suitable for a dairy goat forum.
    Sondra (moderator)

7. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Oh... FDA. We have something like that, but I guess we are all afraid someone will be shooting them self up with Vitamin E... Even though you could over dose... OK now I know why. :)
    I'm not even going to comment on the post above Sondra's....

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Another thought jumped to mind... if it's OTC, then write this down: Each mL contains: 2.19 mg sodium selenite (equivalent to 1 mg selenium), 50 mg (68 USP units) vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), and compare it against what is sold at your feed stores. See if it's the same. If so...great for you that you can get it OTC.

Some OTC drugs have WAY less of the drugs in them than prescription items.
    For instance...Gentomycin is an Rx item in the US...but, it's 100mg/ml. Then Jeffer's came out with an OTC Gentomycin for pigs...it's 5mg/ml. See the difference?
    Kaye