What is a lb. of grain?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Oct 9, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I have a scoop that I use to dish out grain and it is a D.E. 1 lb. scoop from a pool store. Can anyone tell me using a 1 cup dry measurer how much a pound of grain is? I use oats, beetpulp, boss, and corn mixture (thanks Sondra) if that helps. Also my young buck gets a 16% commercial product with ac in it. I just want to make sure I am feeding enough. Thanks

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I use a 16 oz cup and weighted it and then added grain to find out if when filled and where to have 1 lb. The scale really helped not to overfeed mine. Hope this helps some...
    Kathy

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Well I have always just weighted whatever grain I am using and then see how far it fills up whatever I am using for a scoop pail can or whatever. 1# of say oats is going to weight different than 1# of say mixed grain or 1 # of beet pulp.

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I do not have a scale unfortunately...

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

My scale was like $7 at WalMart. Just a small hanging scale with a hook on the end. I have a cup I made a hole at the top in so I can hook it in to the scale and see how much my grain weighs. I know they have these kind of scales at Jeffer's and other online place as well.

Tiff

6. coso

coso Guest

I use a 1lb coffee can for a scoop. I weighed it. Tared it out and my feed ration if filled to the top was a 1 1/4lb . I feed an allgrain type feed with a protein pellet. But like they said above it depends on what you are feeding. Corn is 56lb to a bushel . Wheat 60 lb to the bushel. Hope that helps.

7. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I've used a baby scale... a quart of my grain weighs one pound. You could always take a quart canning jar --one empty and one full of your grain-- and go to the post office or a grocery store in the produce section. Weigh your empty, then weigh your full, and if over a pound, pour into the empty until you're down to a pound... but w/the beet pulp, you may need more than a quart to make a pound.

8. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I have used the fish weighing scale. They are cheap and everywhere. That way I can also hang the milk pale on the hook and weigh the milk.

Wendy

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I used to take some grain in a ziplock and weigh it at my grocery store on the veggy scale :) Now I have my own scale :)

I do weigh, it saves you money. vicki

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have found that a 1lb coffee can usually measures out to 1lb of my grain mix. My 3 cup scoop also weighs out abt the same. So tho can't say for sure with you it is close enough for me. But HEY do like Vicki did and take a gall baggie full to the grocery store and pour it into a coffee can or what ever and measure out a lb.

11. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

If you're doing this weighing at walmart, you can zip by the hunting department and get a fish scale for around $5 while your at it and then see how accurate it is when you get it home.
    anita

12. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

$5.00 hugh - that sounds like a good deal to me....thanks so much - just wondering how close I was with my D.E. scooper..