What if I don't have colostrum???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Apr 18, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I just placed my order with Jeffer's for the supplies I needed to get for kidding this year. Last year I wasn't up to speed and fortunately things went fairly smoothly.

But it occured to me....Next weekend I head over to get Tracy's Madam and a doeling and buckling. So I will have one doe in milk when the does I have here kid. (3 all due the first week of May) but no colostrum.
    Last year colostrum was no big deal because those kids were all going to be butchered and were dam raised. Well now it occurs to me that I was a big idiot last year (huh, go figure!) and I should have gotten some of my does colostrum then for the kids that are coming this year.
    Of course their mommies will have colostrum, but then I have to milk the does, bring it in the house, treat it for an hour and then feed it to the kids. By the time I'm done they will be starving to death!

So the short of it is...can I just give them some of Madams milk the first meal while I get the colostrum heated? Is that bad?

I got a lambar from jeffer's too. When do I put those new babies on it? Right away or do they need a bottle for a bit?

Thanks!

2. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

They will not starve to death. They can easily wait the couple hours it takes to treat. They will sleep. You do not have to give them milk while they are waiting, and I would think you wouldn't want to. Don't fill them up on milk at the risk of them not taking enough colostrum when it's ready.

Sure, it's nice to have some on hand, but it isn't always possible. You'll be fine.We had the same fears with our first kids born last year - they waited and are big healthy yearlings this year. It'll be fine. :)

As for the lambar, we usually do that on day 2 - after the colostrum.

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

They need the colostrum first and it wont take that long either to treat enough for them. You dont want to lose them by feeding them milk first and then colostrum. Not a good idea. They need the colostrum first and for the next few feeding. The first doe to kid shold have enough for more than the babies she has. Yep its a pain but well worth it.JMO

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

They will be fine. Just be sure to keep the kids toasty warm while you are heat treating their Dam's colostrom. Take your time when you are heat treating it and don't rush yourself or you will have pudding. :)

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I had to heat treat colostrum this year also before feeding the kids as I had it frozen and not treated so they waited nearly 2 hrs to eat they were in the house in the bathtub all toasty warm while it was being done.

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Ditto to all the above :)

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

So review again for me how much colostrum they need in what increments? I'm getting very nervous as having them born and dam raised seemed so much easier. Hopefully they will all be sold within a week of birth. We shall see...

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin You're going to Tracy's...check with her and see if she has a bottle or two frozen just to have on hand?? Check your does before they kid and see if they have colostrum. One bottle of colostrum can get you going in case the 1st doe doesn't have colostrum.
    Kaye

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Oooh, you are a smart one kaye..I will kindly ask. Like she hasn't had to put up with enough of my newbie crud! ;)

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

A kid needs colostrum within the first 12 hours. They can very easily wait 2-4 hours before their first meal, in fact they usually drink better when they are a bit hungry.

Depends on the kid but I've had some do fine on the lambar 24 hrs old, some take a little longer. I use a Pritchard nipple for the first couple feedings but most people use the lambar nipples.

About 20 oz of colostrum is sufficient, I usually let them drink as much as they want every 6-8 hours and then do 1/2 milk, 1/2 colostrum and then all milk. If you change directly from colostrum to milk they tend to get diarrhea...at least mine did. Nothing serious but it's better to change over gradually.

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Nope, not the case here. I never mix colostrum and milk. I guess I don't see a good reason to do so. I switch the kids to milk as soon as they have had their necessary colostrum. Never had any that scoured.

Keep it simple. :D

Sara

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You're going to Tracy's...check with her and see if she has a bottle or two frozen just to have on hand??

What I was thinking also!!! Vicki

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NOPE never mix milk and colostrum here either Never have had scours /diarrhea from colostrum. or from switching. Start them off with lambar nipples is so much easier to switch to the lambar. I do it at a couple days or so.

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Same here. They don't get milk until after 24 hrs....no scours either.
    Kaye

15. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Yes, Tracy has a few bottles, and Tracy would probably even trade for soap ;-)

Tracy

16. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

And Bethany will glady bring some soap! :biggrin

17. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

WHEW....problem solved! I LIKE easy! ;)
    Kaye