what hay do you guys use with alfafa Pellets

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by lovenmranch, Feb 19, 2008.

1. lovenmranch

lovenmranch New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have read over the years that some of you feed free choice hay along with alfalfa pellets. I have access to Bermuda, 4 way (barley, oat, wheat, alfalfa), three way ( barley, oat and wheat) and a alfalfa grass mix ( 50/50). I would like my girls to be able to snack and especially my pregnant does, in between their AM and PM feeding. which would be the best to use free choice along with their alfalfa pellets. can you all let me know what you use? I have to feed "dry lot style" because I live in the desert and have no pasture. so I figured second best would be a grass hay of some kid. By the way, the highest protein pellets that I can get are 14%(minimum) which is what I use.

Thanks
    Melissa

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I have ether a grass/clover mix or a plan grass hay, given free choice and they have 24/7 access to great goat pasture/woods (just the pasture is producing anything in winter) alfalfa pellets are given once a day at around 3-4 lbs per doe.

-Melissa

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I offer free choice grass (Brome) hay along with the pellets.
    Christy

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:blush :biggrin Alfalfa hay and mixed grass hay!
    Ok, so my DIVAS are spoiled! :rofl
    Kaye

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would choose the higest protein so you don't have to use protein in your grain. It would be far cheaper and better for them to have their protein coming from the hay than grain, especially for goats who are dry, not very heavily used bucks etc..

Here I feed a clean grass hay, when the protein drops in our alfalfa pellets in the winter I feed protein in the form of soy. When the protein goes back up, I don't. Your hays and your abitlity to know anything about them is nonexsistant in Texas. When moving from California to Texas...my mom would visit and comment that our hay wasn't any better than her bedding she used there! Count yourself very fortunate. And dry lotting is the way to go, you likely never need to worm! Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

am using coastal burmuda grass hay

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"Your hays and your abitlity to know anything about them is nonexsistant in Texas."

Contact your county ag agent...when they do hay competition for county fair you will be able to see who has what protein, etc, see/ask howthey raise their hay, etc and get on a list to buy from them.

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I use Sudan and like Vicki says, I have no idea what the protein is. :sigh

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you know anything about hay competitions, the hay used is from a nurse plot, it is not taken from the whole field. Otherwise the judges would visit the feild themselves and pick a bale to bring in from the outside edge...not the hayer bringing in one of his nurse bails.

Becky Fraleys dad let someone go pick a bale out of the field to have A&M test it when he sold all of us at club his World Feeder Bermuda, it was lovely and super high protein, alfalfa high in protein, alas little calcium, but it still was beautiful hay.

In California the feedstores have their haybarns in sections...18% alfalfa written above the hay baled there with the paperwork to read on TDN etc...14% Oat hay etc etc....yep non exsistant here. vicki

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Most of my hay is bermuda with a little junky weeds and wild grasses mixed in the bales at times. Just like a kid when given a chance to eat their dessert before a meal, my goats will most certainly eat all the weedy and junky stuff first. If I went only by my goats taste buds, then I would be getting some of the most weedy hay out there for them. Dang goats!!!
    It ain't killed any of them yet.
    Whim

11. Doc

Doc New Member

I haven't fed any hay all winter. Consistent 15% Alfalfa pellets and browse. Pregnant and growing goats getting 1 lb of an all breed type ration daily. Contrary to the opinion that the length of the roughage in a pellet won't supply what the goat needs in the rumen, my goats are looking great. I haven't fed any hay since last April. Your mileage may vary.

12. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

We were lucky and managed to get a load of orchard grass last spring before hay became so scarce here. But it came from Kentucky. It was really nice and even now, almost a year later (we bought enough to last a year, but understand that when we bought it we only had...what? 6 goats?), it still smells nice and fresh. They get this free choice and have until recently been going through about 1 small bale a week. Recently, that's increased to probably about 1.5 to 2 bales a week, but most of my does are in late pregnancy (due in March) and Delphine is in early lactation.

In addition, I feed a 16% coarse grain ration from the co-op and a product that they sell that is formulated for horses called Equi-Lite. It's a mixture of alfalfa, oats, beet pulp with minerals and vitamins added (13% protein), and then alfalfa pellets (Merrie Maker, 17% protein) with that.

I've been trying to change my feeding program to get away from feeding so many concentrates and replacing that with more good quality protein in the form of alfalfa. Unfortunately we just can't get alfalfa hay, but we can get pellets. I think I can see a change in my goats' condition--for the better. It's really awful to say, but the grain ration we get is now almost as much as the alfalfa pellets. The only problem I have is that I probably don't feed them as much as they should be getting; we're spending more on feed than we can get back from them at the moment as it is.

-- Wendy

13. old dominion

old dominion New Member

We have orchard grass available at all times. In the summer they rarely touch it. In the winter they eat it like mad.

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My goats are fed alfalfa hay. It comes form the same guy who makes the pellets. The label on the bags say min. 14% protein, so it would be logical to assume the hay has as much protein. My girls get both and I get a local grass hay to feed the bucks and give to the does if they go off feed and want something less rich. If you have the choice, I'd opt for the alfalfa/grass hay.
    Kathie