What Goat Health Books do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jdpearson, Jun 15, 2008.

1. jdpearson

jdpearson New Member

Could I get some book recommendations? I'd like something more than a goat care book. We have Nigerian Dwarfs now and would like to get a larger dairy breed in the near future.

Thank you
    Susan

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Re: Goat Health Book?

Goat Medicine by Mary C. Smith & David M. Sherman. a little more complicated is Sheep & Goat Medicine by Pugh.

Both close to $80 but well worth the investment. Resale is still good too!
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Goat Health Book?

What Kaye said. Once you are through all the very basic sometimes hysterical 'modern' goat books, they become dust collectors...Goat medicine then becomes your frequently used bible. Use the blank inside pages to put all the super good info in goatkeeping 101 on.

For really good info on marketing, weblinks...in many ways her books are forums like this condensed down into chapters!!! Ellie Winslows books are great.....So much more than you would think. [email protected]

I also love Unitedcaprinenews.com

The old Dr. Sam Gus book (I will look up the name)

The book of the Nubian by Alice Hall.

Disease and Management of Dairy goats by Alica Hall and Robert Jackson.

Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual by William J. Foreyt (someone correct this my page is gunked up with spilled fecal material :)

Lets sticky this when it gets through, everyone add yours. Vicki

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

That's one of the best if you can ever find a copy!
    Kaye

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

One book I like is Raising Meat Goats for Profit by Gail Bowman. Though it deals mainly with Boers, it contains a chapter on kidding, which has helped me in the past. She has also included a chapter of recipes for fixing goat meat. I also like the Goat Medicine book.Kathie

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

The Merck Manual....complicated but has info about pretty much every disease in every domestic species. Good reference...although I think it's available online too.

I also like The Goatkeeper's Veterinary Book by Peter Dunn.