What effect does cold have on curing soap?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

The room where my soaps cure is cold this time of year. We've been keeping the furnace from kicking on trying to conserve propane but we have alternate heat in our 'living' area. Not freezing but the room is certainly in the 50's. So, I'm wondering if I need to move them somewhere else. Will this lengthen the cure time? I guess that's the main thing since I have a show coming up and I want some of these to be ready.

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I have found that the cold can make them sweat when you bring them back into warm and make a mess, so if you are going to go to show, inside building remember to bring them in a week or so ahead of time to get sweating done.. they can sweat a long time too.. Put fan on them.. helps alot
    Barbara

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Long story but I am back in the main house. I can't keep my unwrapped soaps for sale in my unheated room until we have warmer weather. It will be 36 tonight and then 70 tommorrow, my soap not only won't cure correctly but with our humidity and the cold the soap stays wet on the outside. I have to keep it wrapped and raw soap in storage boxes.

I think Barb is right and even just a fan would help, I am going to run the ceiling fan tonight and see if there is a difference. My room will be nice once it warms up it will have all my soap and my milk in the same place. Vicki

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay. I did notice today a few of the bars seemed to have moisture on them. Weird. I think I'll move them. I just had an idea that I could stack the trays in a bathtub that's never used. The shower curtain will hide them fine and my bathroom will smell loverly. :)

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Kalne,
    that is a great place to store them, but in order for them to dry out you will want to open the shower curtain and let moving air get to them.. besides everyone will love looking at them, why hide them..
    Barbara

6. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Good point, Barbara. The curtain is open half the time anyway. I have a couple dc that just can't seem to use the bathroom with that shower curtain closed. LOL