What does labor look like?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

The last and only time I had a doe go into labor I was 14 years old (In 4-H) and chose the worst possible night to spend over at a friends house. My mother untangled twins, one of each, and I got to see the finished product in the morning. I was crushed. :down I wanted to be there, but having two bouncing bundles of cuteness made the heartache fly away.
    Now...twenty years later...I have goat again. Just started with them this summer. Yippee! My Alpine doeling, 10/mo old right now, is pregnant. Due in March. Since I have never had the "experience" of watching/assisting with a birth before I have NO IDEA what I should look for when it starts and if and when she'll need help, etc. I am a first-time goat momma and I am NERVOUS!!! :crazy

Can you help? :sigh

-Kim

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Welcome to the world of first timers!! We have all been there. I am going to let those more experienced in explaining I know what I am looking for but telling it to someone else leaves much to be desired.

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I heard someone else say that there is "white goo" in the beginning stages. ??? And nesting??? Does anyone have any pics of labor? Delivery? etc.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Hi there and congrats on your Alpines. I am just a wee bit partial to the Alpines myself. So if she is 10 months old now and due next month, then she was bred when she was a little over 5 months old. That is a little young for her to get bred, so be sure to keep a close eye on her when she is due just in case she has any troubles. Do you have a baby monitor you can put in your barn and in your bedroom or if you don't I would set my clock and get up and go check on her during the night when you think she is close to delivery. Do you have an exact due date? You can check the ligaments at her tail head. You will start feeling indentations on either side of her tail head where the ligaments are loosening up and her tail will not be standing up tall, but slumped over as she is starting to get close to her due date. Usually the first thing to watch for is the goat will go in her barn or go over by herself somewhere and start pawing the ground, making a nest. She may lay down and get up, paw some more, lay down, get up, over and over. Her udder should be filled and her teats strutted a little bit. Some does will look up into the air like they are looking at the stars (star gazing) and stare. Their breathing will get faster. Some goats will stand with their head against a wall and push. Some goats will start calling for you to come there. You could see a string of slime coming out of her vagina. As labor progresses most goats lay down and stick their hind leg out and push. Don't let her stay in this stage for more than 30 minutes because there is a problem if there is no kid coming out. At this point you will need to lube up your hand with some KY jelly and reach in and see what is going on, kid backwards or tangled up with another one or whatever. Don't be nervous about sticking your hand in there. If a 8 pound kid can come out, your hand can go in. :biggrin What is the doe eating? Alfalfa pellets and her grain? Don't forget about 3 weeks before she is due to give her a 2 cc Cd/T shot. If you have Bo-Se you can give her a shot (1cc/40#) of that about a week before she delivers. Don't forget to deworm the doe the day she delivers. That's about all I can think of right now. Good luck with your girl.

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

It was one of those "Oh no...How did he get in there!" breedings. I have no idea of the actual day or even the week. I made note of the fact that December was when he went in with the girls, but she is definitely NOT due in May. Then I got to remembering that he had been found loose and on the opposite side of their temperary hot wire (5-line) fence on day. I did not make note of it at all. I can't even be sure which week or even which month it was for that matter because I "assumed" he couldn't do anything through hotwire. I have since learned from others that they can and they WILL. :lol
    So I figured okay she's due in May....BUT I can already feel kid/kids moving quite actively (No. It is not the rumen.) And her udder is developing too. I was told that it was IMPOSSIBLE for her to be due in May if I can feel and see what I have been.
    GREAT! I say. Now what? So I give her a tentive date of mid-March. She could be due tonight for all I know. :crazy

As for what I'm feeding her. She's getting grain, calf-manna, grass hay and free-choice minerals. I know now that I should have stopped her grain intact quite a while ago. I learned that yesterday. Too late now. I'm decreasing it by lots, instead.
    I have a pic. of her topview and a pic of her vulva & udder for viewing if anyone knows how to tell how far along she might be. I don't know.
    I'm going out to check up on her after I post this, just in case. She was a little vocal today. It got me wondering.

-Kim

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

don't decrease her grain she is only 10 months old she should be fed grain clear thru. also you need to start some alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets or she won't be able to carry those kids let alone deliver or have any milk. As she will start taking calcium from her own body and bones to supply the kids. Where were you told yesterday to quit feeding her grain??? as that is incorrect info

7. Cotton Eyed Does

I would get her on some Alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay for the calcium. She is still quite young and growing herself so it is o.k. if she has been getting grain throughout her pregnancy. She should be getting about 3 pounds of alfalfa pellets and about a pound of grain a day. If she is calcium deficient when she kids then she will have problems and go down on you. That is all I feed my Alpines is Alfalfa pellets and a 12% dry horse grain. Now that they have kidded they are getting about 4 pounds of Alfalfa pellets each daily and a pound of grain at the a.m. milking and one at the pm milking on the milk stand. I don't give BOSS or calf manna or anything extra. They get grass hay free choice in their feeders daily and loose minerals and baking soda kept out.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just re read yesterdays thread and everyone there told you to keep feeding her grain not to stop but we also said you were feeding too much calf mana so you need to up the oats or what ever and cut down on the calf mana but don't decrease her grain just start adding alfalfa all does here get it either 24/7 or at very minimum 3lbs per day per goat.

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:blush2

I forgot to mention that I bought a 50lb bag of alfalfa cubes. :sigh I need to pound it down so they can eat it as they have not been. I learned about Hypocalcimia (spelling is off?) the other day too. I also forgot to mention that I just gave them all their CD/T shots a few days ago.
    The person that told me that I should have stopped grain at 100 days gestation probably did not know how old my doe was when they said it, and it was told to me several days ago. I figured that I would keep her on grain and c-manna but at a lower dosage.
    I have several pics of this doe on my site. You can see her if you want. Check the doe page and there is a top view on the Shykids page as well. www.freewebs.com/shykidalpines
    Her name is Solana.

10. Cotton Eyed Does

I think this person has their info a little backwards. In grown does that are pregnant you "start" their grain back when they are 100 days bred. So you are gradually "increasing" their grain over the next 50 or so days before they kid. Since your doe is still a baby herself it is great that she has been getting grain and should continue to have her grain throughout her pregnancy. I would just get rid of the calf manna though or cut it way down.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep that is right older does that we have been milking we usually milk at least 10 months dry then off after they have already been bred and at that time they get nothing but alfalfa pellets and grass hay or alfalfa hay then at 100 days bred we start gradually adding back in the grain. But the babies once on grain stay on grain until either at least 1 yr old if not bred or thru the milking etc etc. etc.

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Oh...(perhaps I misunderstood this person then.) Thank you VERY much for clearing that up for me. I'll pound some alfalfa cubes tomorrow during the expected major snow storm :sigh, and decrease her manna rations.
    I "learned" also that one must ration calf-manna. One part manna to Three parts grain. Is this true? :help2
    Thanks for your help so far! It is greatly appreciated!

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Whim! The first link was GREAT! I haven't even gotten to the second one yet!

:wow
    :thankyou​

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Your welcome....... :biggrin get this in your head now, cause you won't have time to go look at the computer when the flies start hitting the fan. It can get :crazy

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I think I know the feeling. I'm already feeling a little crazy! :D
    Thanks again Whim and everyone. All of your help has been greatly appreciated!

-Kim

16. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

my does have a wall that they go to. When one stays behind and doesn't go to pasture, or comes back to the barn byherself when the others are out to pasture, I know something is up. There is one wall in my barn. (it is an old cow dairy barn-tile blocks) and it is falling down :sniffle soon to be torn down and replaced. Any way, for some reason all the does pick "the wall" to stand at, paw the ground by, etc. So when they go to "the wall" I get the stuff I need to help with kidding etc. I know withing 30min to 6/8 hours we're gonna have kids. I think I'm gonna have to tell my sister to save part of "the wall" for the new barn. :rofl

Sheryl

17. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Sheryl. You should save part of the wall. That is neat. This is my first time with does going into labor so I have to see it as it developes I guess. It sure is nice to know what to look for though. Thanks! :thankyou

18. Well when Precious was in labor. She was up and down alot. She would lay down, tense up, then get up walk around paw at the ground, lay down tense up, get up walk around. Drove me insane. Lol. She was quiet the whole time until she started pushing. She is a timid goat, and she turned into my best friend the day she kidded.

Frostie did the up and down. And was vocal. UGH. She was LOUD. I dont think I can go through another kidding with her with out ear plugs.

Nica....I induced her so starting around 2ishAM Saturday morning she started getting vocal, not screaming, just talking and only when I was in the barn. She kidded around 2-3PM Saturday afternoon. By then she was screaming if I left her stall and went out of sight. She was doing the up and down and pawing.

All three does progressed at a fair pace, not to slow, but not quick like the next doe....

Hannah....(This was last year.) She did the up and down and pawing. She was quiet. Never heard a sound out of her, from start to finish...She's my kinda goat. LOL. She was a very quick doe. Once she had the long string of thick goo hanging she delivered triplets one right after another.

19. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Kim- I'm curious- why so much calf manna to begin with? Its an awful expensive product, and AFAIK really doesnt add that much to a decent feeding program for most situations. I'm guessing its one of those panaceas "everyone uses" but I dont know if thats it. Just curious why you (or anyone else) feeds it, not being critical. I see a lot of folks mention it (not as much here as on HT) and I dont understand why they use it, Id like to learn that. Dont mean to hijack the thread, but Ive seen it mentioned more lately and i keep wondering about it and then forget to ask. Thanks.