What do you look for when looking at a bucks type evaluation?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Dec 13, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

What are the areas that are most important to you when you look at a potential bucks type evaluation? I know there are some things I want to improve; but say it overall looks like an improvement except say it is very negative on lets say narrow teat diameter or rump angle? If your doe is good on those aspects would you take a chance, or if she is lacking in that department already would you pass? Trying to decide how most of you make decisions, please any input on your thinking through process of selection.

Shawna

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

When choosing semen I do just like you are talking about. I look for bucks that would improve qualities in my doe. As far as losing one trait to gain another... I try to find a buck that won't do that, but if there is one that I really want to use then you must be willing to sacrifice should it turn out that way. You just have to weigh the pros and cons. Like losing stature to gain a nice tight foreudder attachment if that is what you are going for. If you have a nice tall doe to begin with then I would take a chance on the buck being a little short if he is good at improving the foreudder. But, if she was a short doe then crossing her with a short buck will probably give you a short kid. 2 negatives usually make a negative. It's the genetics gambling game.

I have a doe, Syrah, that could use some improvement in her shoulder assembly. Renoir improved that trait greatly in their offspring. The 2 doelings and Buckling I got out of them have beautiful shoulder assemblies. There is a chart, I think may be in Goat Keeping 101, that Kaye posted about the chances of % of the trait that is passed down to the offspring.
    Here is the link: http://kinne.net/heritcht.htm

3. shawhee

shawhee Member

Thank you Christine - that was exactly what I was looking for! Just making sure that I was on the right track.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Honestly there isn't enough data collected on most dairy goats to even make an informed decisions. I think most go with their guts, with a huge emphasis going on his dam, the dam of the sire he is out of, and his daughters. I really want to know the daughters personally because the dams those daughters are out of could really scew his real potential of improving your farm. Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

By using the information that's been collected on buck's daughters you can get a pretty good idea of what he's throwing.
    The only breeds that are lacking enough info. to make an informed decision on are Oberhasli, Sables, and ND. Though the ND are gaining info. in leaps and bounds. With more Obies getting done each year.

When you use AI, lots of time you are unable to look at daughters unless you're lucky enough to show in the area where there are daughters~or the daughters are even shown. Lots of people only show locally in their area but do LA. Pictures of, can be altered so even lousy goats can be made to look better than they actually are. Learn to read the #'s of each trait and what is good or bad.
    As you use the heredability charts, LA trait scores, and a buck's proofs...it's like reading a book and getting a mental picture. This will give you a chance to improve your herd by using sires with proofs, from other parts of the US, to keep you from being limited to just what's in your area.
    Kaye

6. shawhee

shawhee Member

Kaye,
    That makes sense - thank you.

7. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Don't forget to look at other breeders that are using the same lines you are. A lot of times you can find animals with similar crosses to what you are planning.

tracy

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Use the ADGA genetics to look up a buck. Look at his progeny, who's using him, what daughters have been LA'ed. Look at the dam of the buck's daughter and those that have been LA'ed...see what the improvements were over the dam. You can also tell his weaknesses, if it's consistant. Also look at the production info given on daughters.

This is also a useful tool in "loading the dice" in your favor.
    Kaye