What do i need to make a milker ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. MiddleRiver

    MiddleRiver New Member

    I found this local fella online that sells new/used milking stuff but mostly for cows i belive. I REALLY would like to get a milker together before my does freshen in spring, and don't have a whole lot of money to buy one - so need to get what i can to put it together. I have no idea what to tell him what i'm looking for though :help Could somebody please give me a list of what i could buy from him that i would need to put a small/portable size milker together ? Also, if it's for cattle, can it be set/adjusted for goats ? If needed i'm be willing to buy the teat things/tubes/bucket online - but i would still need a unit i could hook it up to to milk. Thanks !
  2. Rambar Ranch

    Rambar Ranch Member

    I believe if you search for milk machine or such you will find what your looking for already. It was just recently gone over several times.


  3. Rose

    Rose New Member

    Look on eBay. You can get a rebuilt one.
  4. goatershubby

    goatershubby Guest

    You need a source of suction-either a vacuum pump or the intake of a compressor; a pulsator (there's no substitute for that); a bucket, and then the inflations and shells that actually attach to the teats. A cow milking set up will work, but you need to divide it into two sets and do two goats at one time, or shut off half. Adding inexpensive shut off valves will allow you to do either.

    We like a Quarter Milker set up (a two gallon bucket, usually plastic). Hamby Dairy Supply sells a goat milking set up for under $200, you still need the pulsator ($100) and a vacuum source (I use a small compressor or you can sometimes get a small vacuum pump from an A.C. guy.) PM me if you need more information.
  5. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    use the search engine right here on the top left of your screen