What do i look for on my pregnant doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by maybelle farm, Oct 29, 2008.

1. maybelle farm

maybelle farm Guest

I have recently purchased a nubian nanny that I was told was bred and due in two months. so right now that puts me at late november early december or something. being this far out still should i be able to feel the kids or what? i try to palpate but i dnt feel anything and i thought that her belly was getting bigger but now it just looks normal agian so should i still think that she is pregnant?

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Without seeing your doe, I couldn't tell you for sure if she's bred. I know with my Nubians, in some it's obvious and in others, you can't always tell just by looking. It's not too unusual for my PG Nubies to look rounder after eating, when there's both a full rumen as well as the kids taking up space. As far as feeling the kids, I find that is easiest either in small does or ones carrying multiples. With some, I can't feel the kids until the doe is just a few days off from kidding. I've learned to watch for other signs of impending kidding, such as developing an udder and nesting behavior. The best way to know for sure is to send a blood sample to Biotracking for a preg test. Kathie

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hi Krista......and welcome to the forum here.

With your doe......Right now with Oct - Nov, I would think that you would be seeing strong heats in her if she was not pregnant. I don't know how long you have had her, but if you've had her a month, and she's had no heat cycle in that period of time, then my best guess would be that she's bred. Other than that, a blood sample like mentioned above would be the best bet IMO.
    Looks bred ? geez , at 3 months bred she might or might not look pregnant. I have a couple here that really don't start blowing up until that last 30 to 45 days or so.

WHIM

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

For me it is very hard to tell on Nubians so I send in blood to Bio-tech

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol I've been at this a looonnngggg time and to this day, I can't tell if a doe is bred, just by looking. And with a rumen that moves, intestines that move constantly, bladder, etc...that ain't reliable either.

No heats, exposed to buck, at 3-6 wks. from kidding an udder starts to form. You walk out one morning and there's babies, Yep, she was bred. :biggrin THEN there's the false preg. that happens every great once in a while. Short of pulling blood and sending to bio-tracking, there's just no way to tell.
    Kaye

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Worse is when Nubians are dry. A milking pregnant nubian you can see her springing with kids. A dry nubian doe just looks a little fatter. They get thick when no milking and just bred.

I would blood test...go to biotracking.com it's cheap, it's 100% accurate. This way if she isn't bred you can get her bred now, and if she is bred you can start feeding her out to get ready for her to have kids in 60 days. Huge difference in the diet of a doe who is 60 days out of kidding and a dry doe who you think is bred.

For now what are you feeding?

Did you worm her when you brought her home?

Also if you bloodtest with biotracking.com to see if she is bred you can also do a CAE test for $6.

And welcome to the forum. Vicki

7. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Out of curiousity...I have heard folks say..Just look at her vulva, and you can tell....Well...I have been looking and don't see a huge difference...what am I looking for? I know that when they are in heat it is puffier and on a couple of mine, the day of kidding they got puffier...but, other than that???

Thanks,

Paula

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Paula I can tell by the vulva and rear end on my mini's but can't on the Nubians

9. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

CAE is down to $4.00 now. WOOT!!!!!!

I had my entire herd (5 hehe) tested couple weeks ago. Of course all were negative.

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

the only thing I do for fun is look at them and see if they are pear shaped = preggars, but seriously blood tests are cheap, and it's a big difference in what a dry unbred doe and a soon to freshen doe needs to be eating.

11. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Pear shaped...hmmmm....well...I am heading to the barn now....this is always such fun...hehehe

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

You stand at their heads, like while they are sucking down hay with their tails away from you and squint your eyes and see if there' s a pear! lol!

13. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Do you mean a pear like this Sherrie... ;)
    BTW....those were trip's when they got here...

WHIM

[​IMG]

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Pear my foot!! That looks like a garter snake that swallowed a hedge apple!!!
    :really I thiiinnnkkk it might be a little different in a big ole' Nubian belly!
    Kaye

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is for sure Kaye with the Nubian's I have there is a bulge below not to the sides :)

16. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl.....though you can't see it in the pic, this "pear" was "well rounded" below as well...... :rofl

Whim

17. maybelle farm

maybelle farm Guest

I think that she is doing the pear thing but nubians are not as buff as the smaller breeds so will she show as much? her tummy is showing a little rounded towards the rump. i guess thats a good sign. also she is with my alpine buck and she is not showing any sign of going into heat.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

A Nubian will never show the pear shape like Whim posted, you will be lucky if you see any change until the last 30 days to 2 wks. In fact I had one last year that I was sure was bred and pg but alas no babies at all this year. So testing is the only way and for $7 you can't beat it.

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sondra not all nubains have that deep body you are used to seeing....alot have those tubular bodies so pregnancy is seen easier. Vicki

20. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH :) I only know one kind HA!