What do I feed my

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

bucks and bucklings. I was just reading the thread "Buckling acting odd" and I have been feeding my bucks alfalfa pellets and a good hay. DH wants to take the alfalfa pellets from them now that we have new hay. Is this ok? :?

Also my mini nubian buckling is 1 month old right now, still nursing and just starting to eat grain and nibbling alfalfa pellets out of his momma's dish and eating hay. What do I start feeding him now?

Wendy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just remember that they need more calcium (alfalfa, lepizeda or clover) than phosphrus (grain and grass hays). If you are going to feed grain and grass hay he needs AC over that grain daily. Vicki

3. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Vickie, DH just wants to feed these older bucks this new hay we are getting. That's what I was wondering if it would be ok. There will be no grain or alfalfa pellets.

As for the little baby bucklings, what do I feed them, do I try to get them to eat a calf starter with rumensin in it or just feed them the same as the does until they are 1 year old? The does get BOSS, oats and alfalfa pellets.

Wendy

4. NubianSoaps.com

Wendy I don't know what kind of hay you are talking about :) Perhaps if you could find a good mineral that they will consume that is made for grass hay with more than a 2 to 1 calcium to phos?

My bucklings only live with the doelings for about 3 weeks, then it's a pen by themselves, on a meat goat pellet with deccox (they also still get corid in their bottles because they aren't eating enough of the pellet) alfalfa hay that as they get older and eat more pellet they move from alfalfa hay to alfafla pellets. Sorry but alfafla is part of my goats daily diet. I know here because of our high iron, low copper and low selenium that those things combined will not let my girls absorb calcium found in mineral mixes or the minerals in feed recipes, in adequate amounts. Dietary calcium is super important here for me.

And I am not going to say yes it's fine because I have no idea. Here my boys would be rail thin, they would substantial weight during rut and never recover...I would be super worried with your winters that they have enough flesh cover for winter, and certainly they need energy you can't find in hay for winter. Here the weather is the opposite, we worry about our boys during the summer/rut...without a good flesh cover they do poorly because they eat so little during rut and expend so much energy. Vicki

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I was wondering about this too. Been meaning to start a thread on it, but since you already did :)

So basically if I fed a buck like a lactating doe (that is in proportions, NOT amounts) they would be ok? Is it just phosphorus that is a problem, or can they get too much calcium too?

6. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Okay. I have now figured out what I am going to feed my boys but...

How MUCH do you feed a growing buck kid?

How MUCh do you feed a "working" buck and when do you start increasing and when do you decrease his rations?

Whole grains are high in phos and low in cal but grain rations are balanced. My recurring question that has yet to be answered (or maybe I just didn't write it down and so have forgotten!) is that with feed rations beinig "balanced" 2cal:1phos, how does that play into the whole 2 parts alfalfa pellets to 1 part grain rule?

And what of those animals that won't eat enough alfafla pellets to balance the ratio with whole grains? My does will not eat over 3 lbs of alfalfa pellets a day. Does this mean they should only be getting 1 1/2 pounds of oats per day? Even when milking 6 or more pounds of milk a day?

I anxiously await your wisdom! :)

7. NubianSoaps.com

Yes there are stones that form from too much calcium but mostly too much phosphrous or too much protein.

You are assuming alot. That because the feed tag says 2 to 1 calcium to phos....so you know the calcium in the form of calcium carbonate is metabolised by your goat even with copper defficency....too much iron or the other defficencies that skew the amount of minerals your goats eat?

I can't even imagine feeding my bucks what I feed my milkers...first it's a waste of money and secondly it is unhealthy for them. When I put in a cover buck after breeding season or I pen breed my young does the first year, the buck can freely move from his pen to their because alfafla pellets, grass hay, minerals and water are the norm in all pens. But he does not eat their milkstand grain because he doesn't come into the milkroom. When they come out to be milked they get their milkstand grain and he stays in the barn and eats his meatgoat pellet if he will eat them.

Susie for me I can't talk about feeding milkers and feeding bucks in the same sentence. No I wouldn't give a buck who won't eat alfalfa pellets grain....but a milker has a choice here. Alfalfa pellets are in the barn if she wants to eat them she does....same with milkstand grain.

The biggy for me is change. I set my management and it is up to my goats to eat the choice that is given. I don't baby my goats or tempt them with this or that. There are no changes, no choices other than what you have. They thrive. The idea that someone won't eat their alfalfa pellets is as foriegn as you saying your goats won't drink water. I have no idea how to help you because it has simply never happened, be it does born here or purchased stock who moved from the best alfalfa to just our alfalfa pellets. Vicki