What could this be?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Goat Land, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

:help

We have two goats out of 35 that have some sort of rash on their legs from the knee down. The hair is falling out (maybe from them scratching it?) and it is dry and scaly looking. They don't have lice or mites. We tried spraying clorahexaderm (sp. ?) on it, but it did nothing. Could they have just gotten into a pile of ants? Or what could it be? What could we do to help them? It looks like it itches.

Thanks

2. susie

susie New Member

How do you know they don't have mites? ( They are very small) Just wondering, because that's what it sounds like.

Susie

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep sounds like it to me also would treat for them. But also fungus MTO from TSC works great for fungus.

4. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

I guess we are assuming they don't have mites. We've checked their skin and haven't seen any bugs. When we part their hair, if they have bugs, usually we can see them even if they are small. And, it's only on their legs and only those two. If it was mites, wouldn't it also be other places? How can you tell if it is a fungus?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

With stuff like this I treat as if it were either or can't hurt and may help.

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Its really hard to see mites I just know when to do it...they itch really bad worse than lice...you can see lice but mites are real buggers... :yeahthat

7. susie

susie New Member

i had a wether that had mites only on his legs-- they are so small you need to do a scraping and look at it under the microscope. They are intensely itchy and irritating==they will scratch at them all the time and then get sores and have hair loss where they scratch. Ivermectin is what the vet told me to use -- orally.

Susie

8. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

So then we should treat these two goats with Ivermectin? We also have 7-dust, would that work too?

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

If it's fungal, you could wash them with a mild Betadine wash (had this on a horse once) once a day for a week. Just get you a sponge, dip it in the solution and "pat" the area and some of the surrounding area, you don't have to get them wet all over. let it dry on them..

10. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

I think we are going to treat for mites and see how that goes. Thanks for all your help.

Autumn