What could cause a does milk production to drop?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 25, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Cinn kidded on Jan 12th triplet does... she is one of my *good* milkers....

She is a 3yo 3rd freshner LM/Nubian X

19th-23rd she ranged from 10.1-10.8 per day....

yesterday she dropped to 9.4.... today to 8.7

I do NOT want this to continue...

all my does have been eating less than normal... but our weather has been freaky... they do not like the *feed hoop house*.... they eat better when feeders are on the fence...

I am going to get my dh to make some changes Sunday to address this...

I feed alfalfa pellets free choice
    Milk stand is whole oats, touch of corn chops (about 1/3c), handful of beet pulp, and 1/8c animax

We checked temps just in case... and Cinn is normal in the group at 102.2 We actually had 2 very low does... but since one is ramping up production I am repeating temps tomorrow before worrying... since my thermometer has given some odd ones on occassion recently.

What else do I need to look at?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Lack of drinking water, perhaps offer them warm water. Uterine infection. Vicki

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

water duh... ok thanks...

OK so How would I know if she had a uterine infection or not? I assisted at her births, but not like I had to in several...

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Bet it is the water they don't go get water with drizzle and cold like it has been at least mine don't

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thinking that is very likely and will change the set up tomorrow AM....

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

being a nursing mom I can't believe I forgot water!

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

That's my favorite story about the last time I sold wethers. This gal came and got two of my soaking wet bucklings as wethers for pet for her children. About 3 months later she told me they were looking awful since she weaned them, they were not eating their pellet, and only would eat grass in the mornings. When I went to get the kids from school I drove by to find them laying in the shade lethargic, very well grown, totally dehydrated. She had only given them bottles and never gave them a water bucket!!!! They learned to drink out of a bucket very very quickly.

Keep an eye on her temp. Vicki

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Yikes!

I will keep an eye on her temps... but we'll move the water trough tomorrow and my dh will fix it so we can have alfalfa feeders in the shelter on Sun...

I did have Becca give her the calcium jic...

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Lynn
    One of mine was dropping & when her milk test came in- she had higher SCC, did a culture & she had subclinical mastitis.

My spoiled does also won't drink when it's cold, so I carry them warm water. My production has actually gone up with this cold water - I suspect because they drink so much when I bring wram water. They're so funny , all lined up waiting for their warm water. My next prject is hot water in my milking area as I'm tired of trudging back & forth with water buckets!

10. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Hi Lynn! I am having difficulty with this nasty weather also. I usually keep 5 gallon buckets of water in the goat barn, with several water barrels outside. The goats have not been going outside in this weather, and I had to remove the 5 gallon buckets from the pen- due to the fear of losing a kid to drowning. I have been carrying buckets of warm water up from the house, many times a day, letting them drink until everyone has had their fill. It is amazing- when I noticed the difference in the amount of water they drank when it was warm vs. cold- and the resulting increase in milk production.
    Donna
    PS: I may be looking for a MM doeling, if you will be having any available for sale this spring.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

hmm thanks for the ideas & suggestions....

Donna we'll see... I *theoretically* have 3 doelings and 1 buckling reserved.... but we have 4 MM left to kid... what gen are you looking for?

12. Rose

Rose New Member

Lynn,
    I'm in Texas, too, and the weird weather is a factor.

I'm also wondering about what you said about the hoop house feed area. Is this new? Goats *hate* new. You may have to sit with them in there while they eat to assure them it's safe.

We have DENSE fog and 45 this morning, but it's supposed to get to 70 degrees this afternoon. Last week it never got *above* 45. :?

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

however most of our LM do not hate change NEAR as much as the nubians, the LM seem oblivious to it, usually...

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

No not new... 18+ mos old.... but it is crowded and gets kinda nasty... I think we are taking it down since we opened up both rooms to them....