What Brand and type of Dairy Pellet are you feeding!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by FRW, Oct 3, 2008.

1. FRW

FRW New Member

I was wondering what type of Dairy Ration folks were using .The type I was using is not available in the area that I am in and Gas is too high to drive to go pick it up.So I am looking for a new Dairy Ration(without urea!!!) I also would like to know if any have feed a dairy ration and then switched to an all grain feed(Oats, Barley,Soybean and BOSS or Rice Bran mix) and if the could see a difference in milk production.
    I have used both and always had a better milk productions with the All Grain diet,supplemented with Alfalfa pellets,
    Whats your pick and your experiences.I know the pellet is so much easier!
    FLOYD :?

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I have never used a dairy pellet ration before so can't compare for you. Here I try to use the same feed for everyone. So it is easier for me to get oats, barley, and maybe add BOSS or a little (or sometimes I use an all grain for horses) then to get a dairy pellet. This way I can use the grain for the goats and the chickens instead of having to buy separate feeds and worry about someone getting the wrong thing if the kids are feeding. I also use alfalfa pellets. Now I do use a medicated feed for babies but once they are bred then I move to the milkstand grain.
    Hope this helps.
    Theresa

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I feed grain I mix myself no soy tho. usually oat /barley alittle corn /little beet pulp and little BOSS. or I buy 14% Bluebonnet dry horse ration at Tractor supply it has a little pellet in it with the oat etc. I then give at least 3lb alfalfa pellets per day per goat and coastal Bermuda grass hay. Bluebonnet Tech master complete loose mineral and we're done :)

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I feed Westfeeds goat lactation pellets mixed with whole oats, a little COB and BOSS. I'd go heavier on the lactation pellets in my mix, but it's quite a ways to buy them. I'm trying to get a local feed store to carry them. Kathie

5. cindy

cindy Member

I have that question too. I am feeding a 16% texturized dairy goat feed (US Feeds) . It has molasses in it and everyone loves it. My pocketbook isn't loving it so much. I was reading some other posts where people think molasses isn't good. Why? Also, when people mix their own whole grains, how much of what grains and how much do you feed? I hope my question makes sense... I am trying to cut my feed costs and still give my goats a good quality feed. We have them on pasture until around November, then we feed a grass/alfalfa hay.
    Thank you!
    Cindy

6. LMonty

LMonty New Member

no dairy pellets here, just alfalfa pellets, grain (wish we had barley here to add to it but we dont, so its mostly whole oats), a little BOSS, beet pulp added it the cold weather when the browse is gone to add some roughage. Minerals (I abashedly admit to using a cheap sheep/goat mineral because I currently have ewes runing with the herd) and Multimin inj quarterly and as Sondra said-we're done!

No wait, ooops, almost forgot-I do top dress the babies with calf manna and a couple of times a week just a tiny bit of oil so I can mix in some homemade supplement-a half cup of my top dress mix of 1 lb wheat germ (vit E, B vits and roughage), 1 lb flax meal (Omega 3's and lignans and more roughage) and 1 cup of kelp (lots of goodies) that I put on the feed mix for each pen.

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Small herd/5 years at goats, but my answer is:
    Yes, more production and better feed-to-production ratio on alfalfa pellets, a mixed hay, and whole grains ( 100 lbs oats, 40 lbs black oil sunflower seed, 20 lbs. non gmo cracked corn). Also free choice mineral, salt, and sodium bicarbonate. Salt only seems to be used in the heat of summer by my heavy milking does.
    Mixing the grains is not hard. 2 cans oats, 3/4 can BOSS, 1/2 can corn. I stop and stir with my arm 4x. Takes 10 minutes max. Currently I have to mix every other week into a 50 gallon trash barrel. That varies by season and herd numbers of course.
    My heaviest milkers get 2-3 lbs of the grain mix on the stand at peak production which was 12-14 lbs. per doe per day. I challenge feed at the beginning of lactation although I don't push HARD for top production. I'm satisfied that is enough grain. Much less "ration" than the dairy pellet and better condition even on "less". Quality makes a huge difference in the quantity needed. 3 years on this management and super happy with the results.

Cindy, the iron in molasses can throw minerals out of balance reducing absorption of others like copper. Molasses can also increase acidity in the rumen which messes up a lot of things.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

my recipe for my grain mix
    100 lb whole race horse oats
    100lb steam rolled barley
    25 lb BOSS
    25 lb cracked or flaked corn
    20 lb of beet pulp
    I mix in 55 gal drums

Then if I think babies or milkers need extra protien I top dress with a knock off of calf manna (animax)

9. cindy

cindy Member

Thank you for the information. Sondra, do you add any salt or vitamin's to your mix??
    Cindy

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

No Bluebonnet Tech-Master Complete has everything needed. Vicki led us to getting this mineral. now will tell you that it is sometimes hard to find. my TSC orders it in for us tho slow they do get it.

11. cindy

cindy Member

Thanks, I'll check with my TSC!! : :biggrin

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Doubt very much Cindy that you can get it up there but maybe.

13. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I am only milking three does, but I buy my grains seperately, and store them in a fairly rodent-proof shed in the bags they come in, because I don't have enough room for cans yet. At milking/feeding time, each doe has her own dish and I mix up their food quickly at that time. I can never seem to get large amounts of grains mixed well, and I seem to have large pockets of various things that don't get mixed well. I can add extra this or that to whoever needs it at that time in their individual dish. I also mix up the young doelings and the bucks feed the same way. I put all the dishes in the wheelbarrow and park that beside the milkstand and use as I milk the girls. I don't really count on the grains supplying a whole lot more than calories, which a milker or young growing animal needs, but use my mineral for the vitamin/mineral part. I feed the mineral free choice along with seaweed meal.
    This is my first year milking, and have never fed a pelleted feed except calf manna and a medicated pellet to the babies, so don't really have anything to compare to. Everyone has kept good weight, and is shiny and seems healthy, and they are all still producing good quality milk so I am happy with what we're doing right now...always keeping my eye out for something better though.
    Anita

14. cindy

cindy Member

You are right...Bluebonnet is a Southern thing and we can't get it up here. I printed the label, so I will look for something close. Thanks. Cindy

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Cindy try to find a mineral that contains 1000 ppm plus of copper, but try to find one that isn't all copper sulfate. Copper amino acids, copper chealtes or even copper oxide would be better along with copper sulfate. Also keeping the iron low or non exsistant.

Laura, feeding a mineral low in copper like that will come back to bite you in the next couple of years. No way can I get my big milkers, through pregnancy and the first 8 weeks of milking with 3 or 4 healthy kids without copper supplementation and what it does for their overall herd health. You can expect out of control worm burdens, retained placenta's etc...hope you are bolusing? vicki

16. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Laura, feeding a mineral low in copper like that will come back to bite you in the next couple of years. No way can I get my big milkers, through pregnancy and the first 8 weeks of milking with 3 or 4 healthy kids without copper supplementation and what it does for their overall herd health. You can expect out of control worm burdens, retained placenta's etc...hope you are bolusing? vicki

absolutely, though I switched from bolusing to MultiMin (long acting injectible copper, selenium, manganese and zinc) this summer. Cleared up the eye rings I was getting in the wethers. The goats are all getting supplemented quarterly. I will do a liver biopsy to check efficacy, when the opportunity arises, and let you know how it goes. It really is so much easier and I feel more confident that they are getting the doses I want them to have instead of worrying that the oxide needles are doing the job. thanks for asking.