What are the odds of prolapse?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Feb 20, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I started writing something about this on another threar, but don't want to highjack it. Chelsea (Nubian) prolapsed after delivering her kid last year as a FF yearling. No family history of it in related does. Deo is not fat. The vet put her uterus back in and gave her oxyticin to shrink it back. Doe had course of antibiotics. Vicki suggested breeding her on her first heat in fall and I did that. She's due on 3/13. I've taken that week off work to be there for her. I'm a bit anxious about her upcoming delivery. I read in a veterinary book that does that prolapse once have an 80% chance of it happening again. I checked in Goat Medicine and there are no statistics there. Has anyone here had any experience with uterine prolapse? None of the goat breeders around here have. My vet isn't too concerned. Chelsea is a good milker with a decent udder and I want to be sure she will be alright. Is there anything I should be doing for her that may be different than my other does?
    Kathie

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Haven't a clue as to the odds but do know that with cattle studies they have found that they are usually in at least a minor case of hypocalcimia
    So keep up her calcium. with alfalfa pellets or quality alfalfa hay.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you aren't feeding her alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets everyday, and sorry I just don't remember what you feed, than before her delivery I would start giving her CMPK injected every 12 hours. Using the hypocalcemia info by Sue in goatkeeping101..this will give her a toned uterus for this delivery.

And I know from my sheep friend that a ewe who prolapses actually has less chance of prolapsing her uterus because of scar tissue formation than her daughter if it is genetic.

I think your idea of induction so she kids first thing in the morning as the vet is getting into their office is a great idea, just time it back and give your shot at 36 hours. Perhaps you could even have your vet run by on his/her way to work on that same day. Vicki

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Thanks, Vicki. I feed my does alfalfa hay and they also get some alfalfa pellets. That's what she was eating last year as well so I think adding the calcium injections would be a good idea, or would that be too much with the hay I feed? The vet I prefer to use because he's the best with goats does not make farm calls and I live 30 miles from him. I plan to call him to see about meds to induce her as I don't have that stuff on hand. I read that article by Sue Rieth in prolapse, but in Chelsea's case, she needed the vet's help. Even with a spinal, she still had contractions and we couldn't replace the uterus until he gave her gas.
    Kathie