Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

What am I feeling?? kidding HELP!

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Sondra 
#1 ·
Doe in labor. Babee is a LM. Bought in milk in summer 2006. Kidded 10 & 9lb twins for me last yr... top milker. Doe kid last yr was my best EVER.

Goat boy yesterday AM reported her back end looked like she was about to kid... udder & teats full last night...

dd 18 checked her last night and told me 3 fingers... before late dinner... 3-4 fingers after milking...

I went and checked 11ish... 3-4 fingers felt no bubble or hard parts....

No straining, no nesting, no strong contractions, but yep early labor...

dd offered to stay up and keep checking... I expected 2-4AM...

I just got up and dh was still up... at 2:30ish dd reported still could not feel anything and he sent her to bed... I got rather *frustrated*, handed him baby and went down to check Babee....

Stood still for me to check... and this time I lubed up... I had not before... wasn't going in far (finger depth) and... confusion hits.

Anytime we have checked a goat we either can't get in to finger depth or we can and cervix is dilated...

I could easily get my hand in... then. Deeper *hole* only open about 2 fingers... maybe a touch more...

Sooooo does she just have ALOT more space than I am used to between the vaginal entrance and the cervix??????

If what I am thinking is correct... cervix is open just past 2 fingers and I can feel membranes and 2 hooves....

What is throwing me is we have never gotten in that deep that cervix was not dilated.... this is the opposite of the goat from Fri... that the vagina was TIGHT could NOT get my hand in... but cervix was completely open once my fingers were in...

Sooooo

4AM... is she still in early labor?

the feet (front I think) are RIGHT RIGHT there... but cervix only open just past 2????? but my whole hand fits into vagina to the wrist... I do not have small hands...

totally confused and exhausted... new baby, mother visiting, and stressed over this kidding... Fri I lost a kid... so that is there in my mind... big kid for a MM stuck, coming wrong, pushed back in fished out nose and got 1 hoof, but never could get second hoof up... (#2 kid was born fast and healthy... hollaring and trying to suck)

Sooo I am gun shy and worried and stressed

See less See more
#2 ·
OK in trying to explain to dh... let me say this better...

every time in the past we've gone in and could go in to full finger depth... the goat was dilated...

I was in on baby to my wrist... and then could feel a circular ring... just bigger than 2 fingers in diameter... bag intact... hooves right there at cervix through bag...

#4 ·
No I am assuming not....about 7AM she kidded triplet bucks...gorgeous of course...

first 2 were perfect presentations... 13yo goat boy delivered and brought them up, but I had JUST started training him to go in... and he did not check her... brought the 2 kids up and went back down with warm molasses water and found #3 partly out 1 rear hoof presenting. :(

Kid is fine except some snorty breathing... I NEED to learn to swing them...

all are iodined and working on first bottle

Babee is FINE. No tearing & dd already milked her first time.

Need to get weights as all 3 would NOT fit in one tote...

Very bummed to get no doelings from this breeding...

And this was the doe my dh was again convinced was NOT bred... she just carries well.. he thought that last yr and she kidded 19lb of babies

#6 ·
OH MY!!!!!

Just weighed these kids AFTER peeing... :lol

Starsky 8lbs
Hutch 10lbs
Faraday 7lbs

25lbs of kids... and my dh and dc were convinced she was not bred!!!!

Wish *I* carried so well... :lol

#7 ·
No sleep with my mom here... have to protect my human kids... she is not real patient or pleasant tongued. Too bad too since my baby is SOUND asleep....

#8 ·
Congratulations Lynn! Sorry about the bucklings, but at least your doe is OK and you can try again next year.

Swinging is easy! Just hold their back legs near feet (I use a wash cloth with it as they tend to be very slippery) and then swing front to back through your legs (like swinging a child). Or you can swing side to side like a pendulum. I like to have some else there rubbing the kid down from chest toward head and cleaning off face, and then I swing again. I think DH thinks I'm crazy, cuz I'm always going "swing him, swing him!" as soon as a delayed kid comes out. But hey, it's worked so far! ::)
Camille

#9 ·
Congratulations Lynn don't know what to say regarding the depth you could get into. and So sorry to hear you MOM is not the most joyful of people, that is so hard to have them around. MY Grandmother was a B from H and had her with me for 2 mo nothing suited and black was always white no matter what.

#10 ·
Fairly sure now that was a cervix that just was not open yet and she just has greater *depth* than I am used to....

Sondra can you believe Babee with 25lbs of kid!? She has been such an incredible doe for us! A real sweetheart and a great milker... and her doe Sweetheart from last yr is gorgeous... she was out of Babee & Anson... so I was repeating the breeding... her buckling from last yr Stryker is now a herdsire himself.

#11 ·
Your correct Lynn and especially in a doe of that age you should not be able to even get into the vagina to get to the cervic with that many fingers. She simply is loose:)

In the future you would automatically think...oxytocin just a few drops on a gloved hand to massage that cervic with and calcium. Your calcium you use..CMPK etc...is part of your birth kit and you give it when someone doesn't progress like you think. It won't hurt so you can't overuse it. Great job! Vicki

#12 ·
thanks Vicki... I wondered about calcium... it was different though from Gypsy... old and just no oomph to her labor this last time... and one *struggling*... she just was obviously in early labor... and I jumped the gun a bit... but listening to you and noting calcium next time! It seemed less an ineffective labor... and more... just a long prelabor... 2 fingers at 4+AM to birth by 7AM.... seems pretty standard...

I think Babee is 4ish... maybe 3...

G
#13 ·
""""""Swinging is easy! Just hold their back legs near feet (I use a wash cloth with it as they tend to be very slippery) and then swing front to back through your legs (like swinging a child). Camille """""

:rofl Slippery is putting it mildly.......When I worked for the vet, we always done c-sections on all the English bulldogs. Usually 2 to 3 of us would line up at the oper. table to catch the pups as they were pulled out. Of course we had to sling/swing the pups to try to remove the crud from their lungs and mouth. I grab the first $1200 pup and was just a swinging the pup between my legs, when he slipped out of my hands, and hit the wall about 10 feet behind me. I know that I must have looked white as a ghost. I says, OMG...I just killed that $1200 pup. I look at my vet, and he's just a laughing.....I though , what the heck is so funny......then he says, go pick that pup up, rub him up good and sling him some more. Sure enough, the pup was fine. The vet later explained to me , when they are first born, that they are very rubbery like....bones and stuff will bend with ease. He says that they are much tougher than you might think.

Shoot .....I was about to pass out. Well, we done many more while I worked their.....but you can bet your butt that I held on a little better from then on.

Glad your doe turned out/kidded OK....I thought when I read this thread early this morning, that you were trying to rush her a bit.......but figured since you have been there yourself many times before.....I'd best just keep my mouth shut.

Whim

#14 ·
but I'm on the OTHER end those times Whim! :lol

And your story! Oh I NEEDED NEEDED that laugh... thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.